Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I even start let me say I have tried almost anything to get my male cockatiel to stop squawking/screaming. I've owned birds all my life and this one, is a puzzle.

"Hi my name is Misty and my cockatiel Gauge is two years old and a screamer (lol).

1. I never reinforce the bad behavior i.e. I ignore him when he's loud, reward him for good behavior, etc.

2. He has a huge cage and a ton of toys

3. Buying a friend was a suggestion and that didnt go very well. He was not friendly with the other cockatiel. So I tried again with a parakeet. Believe it or not, he gets along great with a parakeet ( he still wont shut up though).

4. He has lots of great food options and is in perfect health

5. He gets his cage covered at night and I try to take it off during the day. I have tried training him; screaming = cage covered. Being quiet = treats, attention, open cage etc. (not helping).

6. He gets plenty of attention from me. When I can catch him quiet, I bring him out almost everyday. Whether hanging out on my shoulder or his perch. He's fine if he's near me, if I walk away, he screams. Even being out.

7. He literally can go on for hours. and hours. Sometimes not screaming but doing a very loud squawk.

8. He has a prime spot in the house where it's quiet but he can see everything (uncovered) and has a huge window to look out.

9. Yes I have tried moving him to different rooms, different areas, and settings etc.

SO...with all that being said...anyone have any suggestions I have not tried yet? lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have not had an issues with screaming ALL the time. Mine also scream when I leave the room or scared. They want your attention. Talk to a vet about it. It just might be how it is. Sometimes I spray them with water to bath? Maybe that will be something to try. It will not hurt them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put up stands around the other areas of the house, so when you move, he can sit there and watch, every bird is different, as humans, and no matter their age, they're all basically babies, they need comfort and knowing they aren't alone and are well taken care of. Don't expect a baby to think you'll be back, for all he knows, it'll be the last time he sees you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put up stands around the other areas of the house, so when you move, he can sit there and watch, every bird is different, as humans, and no matter their age, they're all basically babies, they need comfort and knowing they aren't alone and are well taken care of. Don't expect a baby to think you'll be back, for all he knows, it'll be the last time he sees you.
If you're there, he wants to be there with you, so why not have a perch there, and if you forget about him, he'll gladly remind you by screaming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.