Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long story short, I have 2 untamed tiels. I love them but They dont want to play with me. The first one I got 1 year ago from an aviary. Now I know that aviaries are wrong but back then I was a total newbee and amateur. I named him Marcy. Marcy is hella loud, hella afraid. Since I got him he learned to grab a stick when I say "Grab" and eat sunflower seeds from the pinch of my fingers. He also sometimes walks to me and plays around if Im sleeping or siting still but If I move even so slightly he screams and flies away. The second tiel I have for 6 months now. They like each other. I got her from another City and I spent some money and time to get it. I named her/him Kleo ( I dont know their genders). She was 3 times more expensive then Marcy. She's different. Wont play around me, keeps distance, but If I come to her she is not as scared. She's supposedly tamed but again she flies away, wont let me touch her and hisses bird curses at me if I bother her. If It's late I can force her to step on my finger for barely 4 seconds so I can put her back to cage.

Now to the point. I love them and I feel responsible for them. I'm not going to sell or rehome my tiels because I want whats best for them. Problem is I know that I will have more animals in the future. They will be around for 18 years at least. So the questions:

- Is it posible to train them?
- Can I keep them in a separate room away form other animals, house members and household appliances?
- Will their be fine with each other or do I need to find them more friends?
- What is the minimum room size to keep them inside?

I curently house them in 70x50x100 cage and let them out most of the day in a 20 square meters room. I can put money, time and efford for their good but I wont be able to wait 20 years for next pets that I plan having ( chameleon, turtles and chinchillas ). Im not going to throw them away for some other animal. Im thinking more of changing my little zoo management so they wont bother each other in the future when I move to a bigger house.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

Yes you can set up a special room for them, many bird owners do this (especially for a flock of cockatiels) and it works well to have a "bird room". I have a bird room with my XL cage and 5 of my 'tiels in there and they absolutely love flying around and playing on their playtop. They have a large window near their cage (covered with a mesh curtain so it lets natural light in but they can't crash into the glass). My Indian Ringneck is in there too but she gets separate out-of-cage time.

There's no real exact room size, bigger is better obviously as they need plenty of space to fly around and to not feel cramped with a big cage and all their supplies in there. A cool-toned light bulb is best for their lighting as it mimics natural sunlight if your chosen room doesn't get a lot of natural light.

Your pair doesn't necessarily need other flock mates if they get along well together. There's always the risk that they might not welcome another friend. Only get another 'tiel if you are 100% sure you want another one and have the extra time to spend with the new bird.

You need to make sure you spend time in their room with them every day, talking/whistling to them and interacting with them etc. Even if they don't like being handled, you can work at it slowly and they may tame down over time. Using food bribery is an effective method but keep in mind some 'tiels take longer to warm up to humans than others so have a lot of patience with them. There are plenty of Sticky articles on the forum with info about training and bonding.

Cockatiels have the potential to live up to 30 years and even older than that in captivity if they receive excellent care, adequate exercise and nutrition.

Hope this helps a bit! Feel free to post about any other questions you have! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.