Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I purchase seed without sunflower seeds? any good brands or online stores to buy from?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would like to hear what other people have to say about this as well. Neither of my cockatiels like sunflower seeds very much anyway, and really they should only be a treat and not a major part of their diet. But almost every brand seems to have sunflower seeds in it. I could almost forgive the sunflower seeds, they are not that hard to pick out. But what i really don't like is all the additives in store bought bird seed these days. Coloring, artificial flavors, and pellets that aren't really that healthy and my birds don't eat anyway. I buy Roudybush pellet and like to supplement their diet with a variety of healthy seeds. I've started buying human grade seed at the grocery store to feed them, but I've not perfected the mix yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to hear what other people have to say about this as well. Neither of my cockatiels like sunflower seeds very much anyway, and really they should only be a treat and not a major part of their diet. But almost every brand seems to have sunflower seeds in it. I could almost forgive the sunflower seeds, they are not that hard to pick out. But what i really don't like is all the additives in store bought bird seed these days. Coloring, artificial flavors, and pellets that aren't really that healthy and my birds don't eat anyway. I buy Roudybush pellet and like to supplement their diet with a variety of healthy seeds. I've started buying human grade seed at the grocery store to feed them, but I've not perfected the mix yet.

The sunflower seeds are a mess and it seems there are more sunflower seeds than actual seeds. The bag that I have now I am about to throw it out to the outside birds. I wish there was something I could pour the seed into and it would catch the sunflower seeds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zupreem is a pretty good pellet brand. If you are not already feeding your birds pellets, this would be a good way to introduce them into their diet. Personally, I don't like any artificial colors in my birds food. I don't like it in my own diet, so I don't want it in theirs either. But that's really a personal choice.

As far as sorting out the sunflower seeds, this is what I do if I have to. It's a bit tedious, but it works. Put the seed in a container you can close, like a jar or something with a lid. Shake the container back and forth for a few minutes. Because the sunflower seed are the largest in any seed mix, they will rise to the top of the seed mix. Then it's pretty easy to pick the sunflower seeds off the top.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wild finch seed mix works great for mine. It's all millets and canary seed. Mix in some oats and maybe safflower and it's perfect.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I like mixing canary seed mix with budgie seed mix. It provides a bit of variety for my birds :) I get my seed mixes at Walmart. Not the greatest place for them, but it has what I need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts