Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tiels have a seed and fruit and veggie diet but i was told that pellets are suppost to be good ive never looked into trying them.

Do any of you use them? and what are the benifits from using them if any?or is it just best to stick to a seeds,fruit & veg diet ?:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I tried them 10 years ago, i went out and bought 3 or 4 different types and cost around 30.00. My birds have always had seed, yes as well as veggies, pasta and so on, anyway they just refused the pellets. I put 2 dishes one with seeds and one with pellets and let them choose what they wanted. There was a little picking but for the most part they ate there seed over the pellets. I ended up dumping most of them out doors for the wild birds, they ate them after a while. I gave some to a friend who bred Rats "yes Rats" at the time and they loved them. There was a big thing several years ago on another forum and it still is a matter of opinion. A lot of people like them and say the pellets are better for there birds and that is fine with me but my birds for the most part are seed eaters. I add a few things to my seed mix like Flax seed, shelled sunflower seeds. oat groats, corn, millet, sesame seeds buckwheat and other stuff as well and my guys like it so I'm happy as well.
The pellet thing will go forever as i said some like them some don't. The funniest thing is when people started feeding colored pellets they wanted to know why there birds poop was pretty colors, lol. So all i can say is...be happy.:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I feed pellets and to me is a great thing...

when feeding seed all husks where all over the place and seeing the seed quality here is so-so and the birds were not accepting ANY other food (veggies,fruits,etc) I thought of giving pellets a shot...

it took some time for them to accept them, some took them right away... now I have not to worry about seeds all over... and now I can add egg, pasta, and certain veggies that now they do accept.... at fisrt the poops were considerably larger but not stinky at all...

other than being less mess, as they eat the whole thing (in my case there is no waste left) the healthier eating now with more variety..... there´s not much difference if you feed lotsa other things among seeds....

yeah pellets are good and more "natural" but a bird fed seed and fruits veggies and all that can get the same amount of advantage.... IMO

besides pellets can be $$ (I have to order them and have them shipped to me as there´s no one that carries them in my country at all)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
all my birds eat Pellets, I feed them Zupreem Avian Maintance Fruit blend they also get veggies every day, along with every other day is birdie bread - If they get birdie bread that day no other veggies because our birdie bread has veggies, noodles, and beans in it.

when ever i get a bird who's been fed seeds they get converted over to pellets.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if i did introduce pellets gradually would i eventually have to stop giving them the seeds or would it be ok once in a while to give them seeds i wouldnt want to confuse them though:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I offer mine both, in addition to fruits and veggies. Sam gets pellets in his food dish at all times. He gets a small spoon of seed in the afternoon. Works for me because first thing he wants to do after waking up is eat, so he'll chow down the pellets like no other if there's no seed around.
________
Digital volcano vaporizer reviews

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i may benifet from giving them the pellets as well as them as the mess with the seed is everywere i dont mind but its like once you have cleaned it up you turn round and its back again lol what are the best pellets available?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks atvchick i ordered a catouloge the other day from northern parrots and i have just come across harrissons and zupreem i think i might try the zupreem as ther bags start at £4.99 for 10 oz £9.99 for 2.5lb or £36.99 for 20lbif i try the smaller bag and they dont like it then im not wasting money or food the harrisons is £6.99 for a 1lb or £26.99 for 5lb which is the best out of these two? and are these resonable prices?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've only used Zupreem

I can get a 20 pound bag from a guy at a bird show for around $26.00 and from one of our pet stores (only sells pet supplies) for around $36.00

and I don't know the differnce between your money and Our (US) money if theres any at all lol

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I feed mine both seed and pellet they only get a small amount of seed once a day and then they get pellets in the cage all the time, all of my birds eat the pellets and love them, I got lucky at first around here all they had was the Zupreem fruit blend which they did eat but some weren't that crazy about them, and one of the pet stores I go to started carrying more Zupreem pellets there is a Garden goodness mix and they have added red and green peppers, peas, tomatoes and apples mixed in with the pellets and there is a Wild and Spicy mix with southwestern style tomatoes, pepitas, corn kernels and chilies mixed in with the pellets I have tried both with the birds and they go crazy for them there a little pricier but well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i converted it the other way and it works out £18.27 thats nearly half the price you pay than i would.

Thanks Laura ive just had another look in the catouloge i have and i think i have found what you have surggested is it called zupreem avian entrees they do wild and spicy, harvest feast and garden goodness do i just add this to thefruit flavour blend or not they also do the natural diet mix it would probably better if i could put it with the natural but then again it all goes in the same beak lol:D

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Yup thats them I haven't tried the harvest feast yet, but I am sure its just as good as the rest of them, I really like the new entrees I have both the wild and spicy and the garden goodness and I just put them in separately, one day I will use one and the other kind the next, but you could try putting a little bit of each in like you said it all goes in the same beak :p

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to get one of each flavour they have an offer on at the moment if you try all 3 you save £5 so i pay £25 in stead of £30 there 2lb bags how long does this useually last you?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It usually lasts me quite a few weeks, now that I think about it, I haven't really paid attention to how long it lasts exactly, but it does last awhile because they eat other things as well, seeds, birdie bread fresh veggies etc....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't use pellets as a major part of the birds diet, because we just don't have a great variety of pellet brands here. I did have them on Harrisons for a while but the price was ridiculous and it was quite a long way i had to drive to get them. Overall i decided it wasn't worth the effort when i can just feed them seed, veggies, fruit, pasta, etc. If you do start feeding pellets don't eliminate seeds all together, it's a natural part of their diet and if you serve it in the right quantities it offers a lot of nutrition.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My birds were all on a seed diet for a while.. 3 of them for just about a month, but one for his whole life [5 years]. I actually got Zupreem Fruit blend first to get them to try it, and it worked. Then I converted them to the natural blend, since it's less sugary and more natural. That also worked. The mess is a lot less and my birds were at a stable, healthy weight.

Still give them fruits and veggies, and stuff, though. I give them a tablespoon of seeds everyday, as well.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Mine won't eat the natural of any pellets only fruit flavored, which doesn't bother me, since it is flavored with Real dried fruit, not artifical flavoring and when we open up a new bag or even the totes we store it in, I just love the Fruity smell it smells so good :D

and I always know when Roxy(my lovebird) has been sitting in the birds food dish in the birds room when i lean in on her to give her a kiss and she smells like fruit loops :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts