Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched my six month old cockatiel, Cthulu, on to an all pellet diet, as per 2 vets recommendation. Today marks the end of a ten day weening from seed to harrisons super fine pellets, with fresh veggies and bird bread to help the transition. He was hyper all day, but when I switched the food to 100% pellets, some veggies, and bird bread, he didn't touch it. I left, and when I came back a while later, he hadn't touched it. Now he has very watery poop and is ruffled and lethargic. I'm not sure if this means he hasn't taken to the diet, or if it means he may be sick.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
No, an all pellet diet is not healthy for cockatiels. It is recommended that you feed 50% seeds and 50% pellets. Too much of one thing is not a good thing.

I do not think he is experiencing a withdraw, but he is probably missing some seeds somewhat. You can try mixing the 2 foods together and see if that perks him up. If he is still acting sickly I would consider booking an appointment with the vet, so until then before you make that decision monitor him and his behavior

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suggest offering seeds and millet spray immediately - as much as he wants at the moment (you can leave the pellets there.) He HAS to eat right away. It sounds like he hasn't been eating, or eating enough, for awhile - he will quickly lose weight and get sick. Tiels hide illness until they are no longer able to - he needs to go to the vet to be fed and examined if he doesn't resume eating his old favorite food immediately.

No pelleted diet contains all the nutrients that a bird needs. People have been studying nutrition for humans for years at great $$ expense and it is still not known exactly what we need and how much. Studies of birds' needs have been going on for much less time, involve the expenditure of far less money, and are mainly for the poultry industry, so how can anyone honestly say they know all there is to know about bird nutrition?

As CaliTiels said, a mixed seed/pellet diet is preferred. But it's more important to get him back to health first before messing with diet. I suggest buying a gram scale and keeping close watch of his weight before modifying the diet again.

·
Registered
878 Posts
How are you doing with your bird?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Tielbob are you asking me or Wolfy319 about the bird?
Sorry for any confusion - I was wondering how wolfy319's tiel was doing since the original post said he was "ruffled and lethargic", but I hope your Upside-down and Shadow are doing ok, too :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Upside-down and shadow are doing fine thank-you I put them back on there reg.feed amounts 1 tbs.each pellets and seeds and working on getting them to eat veggies no luck so far but keep trying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts