Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my ten week old tiel for seven days and in that time I have been trying to introduce him to pellets without much success. I am worried about him not eating he picks the seeds out and leaves the pellets, am I expecting to much to soon. Should I persevere with the pellets or just give him seed.
I have also read seed diets do not have enough nutrition and will shorten the life of a cockateil if fed seed alone was also was told not give shell grit.
He is given fresh fruit and some veggies every day as yet he has not eaten them. He is healthy active and very affectionate I am probably worrying to much.

Thankyou
Gforce

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I'm not sure about the pellets, as I haven't had this problem with any of mine, they will eat pellets 24/7. I found this it might help:

Remove 10% of your bird's seeds and replace it with 10% of pellets. Each week remove another 10%, and increase the pellets by the same amount. Within several weeks, your cockatiel should be eating the pellets. You can also try sprinkling some pellets on the carpet, kitchen counter, table or other area where you bird likes to play. Since birds are always picking up little crumbs to nibble on your bird may get its first taste of pellets this way. This will make the pellets in the food dish familiar and they will be recognized as food.

Offer your Cockatiel its regular food in the morning, but for only an hour, then replace it with pellets. By the afternoon, your bird will be hungry and searching for food. Hopefully it will try the pellets. If your Cockatiel has not eaten anything all day, remove the pellets and replace them with your bird's regular seeds in the evening, but for only one hour. It takes a bird about 2 weeks to change diets using this method.

"Pellet Pudding", may be appealing to Cockatiels that enjoy eating soft, moist foods. Remove your cockatiel's regular food from the cage. Fill a small cup with pellets and add warm apple juice and stir until the pellets start to soften and expand. Cockatiels seem to enjoy food that is slightly warm. Serve a fresh batch of the soft warm food to your bird every 2 hours to (to prevent spoilage) but only for 48 hours. Your Cockatiel must be closely monitored to prevent starvation. Wait at least a month before trying another method of conversion.

Remove all foods from your Cockatiel's diet and replace the seeds with pellets but only for 48 hours , no longer. When a bird gets hungry enough, the instinct for survival will cause it to search for food A Cockatiel must be closely monitored with this method to prevent starvation. You should weigh your bird each day. A healthy bird should be able to withstand losing 10% of its body weight with no ill effects. Wait at least one month before trying another method.

Give your bird pellets in the morning and remove all seeds. If no pellets are eaten by the end of the day one, give your birds seeds for 1-2 hours that evening then remove the seeds. Offer pellets again in the morning. If no pellets are eaten by the end of day two, offer your bird seeds again for 1-2 hours then remove the seeds. By the next morning, the bird should be very hungry and accept pellets as food.

Try different brands of pellets. Cockatiels have taste buds and taste preferences. Your bird may not like the taste of the brand you are currently using. Read labels and call manufacturers. Many of them will send you free samples. Also try the smaller parakeet type pellets or crumbles instead of the larger Cockatiel size pellets. Nutritional formulation is the same and some birds prefer the smaller size. Grind pellets in a coffee grinder or mini food processor, making them even smaller. Sprinkle them over your bird's fresh foods or seeds. Gradually reduce the amount of seeds and add more whole pellets. Sprinkle some pellets or ground pellets on the floor or in an area where your bird like's to play. Cockatiels are always foraging for food. Offer pellets to your bird from the palm of your hand or one by one like treats.
__

I have heard seed diets are not good, they can lead to health problems which will indeed shorten their life span. And the shell grit, I don't give my birds that as it can irritate the digestive system and cause blockage of the crop. Most birds that're fed properly and are healthy don't really need grit imo.. you're giving your tiel fruit and veggies, plus he will be getting pellets (once he starts eating them) so as long as he's got all that he'll be fine and stay healthy.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I would keep trying. Spike was weaned with a choice of seeds and pellets and he eats both. For veggies try them different ways chopped, whole, mashed ect. The main thing is not to give up. Peas and corn are some of Spikes favourites. Good luck :)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Giving pellets is a personal choice and debatable on whether there good, Mine get both seeds and pellets, seeds are a natural part of a cockatiels diet and should not be totally eliminated, I limit how much seeds they get, I give mine a few tablespoons a day and then they have there pellets, If you choose to not give pellets thats fine as well there are lots on here that don't give pellets but you have to make sure your cockatiel is getting other healthy things other then seeds, you are correct a seed alone diet will definitely shorten there life span just like us humans they need a varied diet, tiels are not known to be big fruit eaters some will eat it and enjoy it but none of mine are, they do get there veggies daily and other healthy foods pasta birdie bread etc... I would keep offering the veggies daily as suggested by others try different kinds served various ways eventually he will try them and you will figure out which ones are favourites, corn, carrots, pasta and parsley are big hits in my house. something else you could try is eating some of the things you want your tiel to eat in front of him sometimes thats enough to get them curious and want some of what your having ;)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
all mine get pellets , right now i'm in the process of switching from fruit blend to natural ONLY because they're becoming picky and will throw out the pellets they don't want to eat - and since the ones they want to eat changes at least weekly - I'm going to stop the pickyness before it gets worse - Plus i'm tired of stepping all over pellets every time i walk into the bird room I have to vacuum at least twice a day every day - and it used to not be like that they used to eat all the colors of their pellets and i'd only find crumbs here and there

my breeding birds get a very small amount of seed (which Im cutting that down as well because They've went from eating Pellets all the time to none of the time)

they all get fresh food daily, we switch it daily, one day they'll get fresh Kale, one day fresh Mustard Greens , One day Birdie Bread - our birdie bread is made with whole wheat noodles, beans, mixed veggies, and sometimes we throw in different types of fruit. then one day it's millet and of course the fresh veggies vary depending on what is available at the store but Kale, Mustard Greens and Kelp are some of my birds favorites for the leafy section

they also love Corn on the cob or just corn in a dish when we make Corn on the cob we usally always have at least one ear left, we'll just cut it into circles and give a piece to each bird and they'll devour it in no time

mine also LOVE popcorn for a treat :) of course I get the kind with no butter or salt for them I normally pop my own in a big pot - I just buy the kernels at the store in a jar or bag. But this month i found some pop corn called "natural" while i was picking some microwave pop corn up for me and the kids and grabbed a box to see if the birds would like it (because it has NO butter or salt or anything of that stuff added) and they loved it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The person who sold me Pumpkin said that I shouldn't feed him Pellets because it isn't something he would be eating if he were wild. I agree with her. My theory is if they needed more vitamins than that which are in the seeds, fruit, and veggies, they would have been made differently.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I don't feed pellets either, i really don't like the main aussie brand of pellets and that's the only one i can get easily - so i just don't feed pellets at all. Mine get 2 tablespoons of seed per tiel per day. Measuring the seed means that to fill up they have to eat it all and not just the yummy sunflower seeds and millet. ;) They get lots of veggies and other foods as well. Whether you're feeding pellets or seed or both, variety is the key. An all seed diet will shorten their life, but so would an all anything diet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to give him seed and pellets for the time being maybe if I put the veggies in the same pot for a little while he might start eating them. He is still a baby so it will take time.
PS when will I hatch:D

gforce

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feed George pellets and seeds, he eats both well, so no problems. (and fruits and veges when he actually eats them!)
I wouldn't feed JUST seeds though, they aren't the ones they eat in the wild and are dried. Soaked seeds area more nutritious and to apparently to the tiels, alot yummier!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have been breeding Cockatiels for around 30 years or more. I feed seed to my birds and mixed veggies as well, the veggies i put in at least 3 times a week and in small amounts, sometimes they eat them sometimes they wont but i offer. A couple of my birds love veggies and especially corn it seems.
My seed is just the basics but i add Flack seed, Hulled Oats and some other seeds as well to the mix. The pellet thing has been going on for a long time and will probabally continue to do so for as long as there are people that make them. Most pellets are not any better then seeds, yea i know some folks will say pellets are best, and as i always say feed what you think is best. When i tried my birds on pellets they for the most part would not eat them, maybe pick here and there but mostly wanted there seed type food.
Some folks feed seed and some pellets, like i said i gave my birds the choice by trying to offer both, feeding seed is what my birds like and there happy with the seed and so am i. NUFF SAID...be happy.:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone, poppabill how much flaxseed and oats do you add to your seed mix? I think I will finish of with the pellets and give seed. I want a happy bird not a hungry one.:)

gforce

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well personally i would use Pellets and a variety of fruits and vegs :)
just you give the bird the fruits :) More fun.
I would reccommend sunflower as a snack once inawhile they are really fattening ! Kind of like eating potatoe chips all day.
I would reccommend Harrison or Zupreem pellets too :)
just thought i would throw a comment in !

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use 10 lb of cockatiel mix seed (many say its crap but Walmart has a good seed mix in 10 pound bags), i put 10 lb seed mix in a bucket and add about 3/4 to 1 pound of Flax seed, about the same in Hulled oats, white millet, about 1/2 pound of Buckwheat and the same in Oat groats and wheat on occasion. The mixture i use does not have to be exact but that seems to be what my birds like. If you add to seed you will figure out what your birds like best and go from there. I feed or at least offer chopped up veggies at least 2 time a week. Cereal as a treat either Cheerios or Corn flakes (just plain). hope this helps...be happy.:)

There will be folks here that will not like what i feed becouse i dont feed Pellets, every one has there own oppinion and has there right to express it but here is mine and i am sticking to it.:D :D :D

Thanks everyone, poppabill how much flax seed and oats do you add to your seed mix? I think I will finish of with the pellets and give seed. I want a happy bird not a hungry one.:)

gforce

·
Registered
215 Posts
Boomer used to only eat seeds- nothing else. Nothing. Then I adopted Birdie, and she eats nearly everything. (Once she stole a cornflake out of my cereal bowl- I can't leave the room if theres food out!)

Then Cousteau didn't understand anything other than seeds & pellets, but he watched Birdie and Boomer for a long time eating corn & noodles & lettuce, etc, and now he eats stuff too.

As far as seeds only shortening their life- I dunno. In some cases, maybe, but I wouldn't worry. My mom in law has a cockatiel that they FOUND. His age was unknown, but he wouldn't learn to say/sing anything else (maybe his memory was full? not sure) but she's had him for 23 years now. He ONLY eats seeds. Won't touch anything else

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
For my guys seed mix i combine a finch mix with a tiel mix, i mix them 50/50. :) That means they get a wider variety of seed and the sunflower seeds are spread out a lot more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

My tiel has been with me for about 3 weeks now and I have been trying to get her to eat some pellets.i scattered them on the table and tried to replace her seeds and mix them in .Today I made a pellet mush and she ate some :) .However, she is still walking around my house looking for remaining seeds on the floor.I tried to make a fruit mush for her and she doesn't care for it at all I tried to feed her some fruit mush from a spoon.I put chopped veggies in her cage and mush and she just walks in it and I just have to replace it.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
119 Posts
why not try introducing her to the food bowl :) that way she doesnt walk in it.
Try acting like you are eating it and really intrested..
That way she will get more curious but dont let her have any. not yet.
After you do alittle teasing and she is super intrested she will try it :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
The only way I can get Echo to try any new foods is to eat it myself and forbid her to. Then I let her get away with sneaking a taste;) Works everytime! She will only eat seed so I serve her a tiny amount of fruits and veggies everyday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I feed my two on mostly seed, they get about a tablespoon each in the morning (actually a Powerade scoop) and then they might get another half/whole a scoop in the afternoon if they have eaten a lot, I only give hem a small amount to try to get them to eat a variety of the seeds, not just their favorites.

I also have pellets available for them but normally they dont take much notice of them, although I do often find a few on the bottom of their cage, but I think they have just been played with and dropped rather than eaten, ahwell it is there if they want it. The other day I gave them both a bit or a shower with a spray bottle, took their seed container out, but forgot the pellet container, and I noticed that after, the damp pellets had been eaten, even though I had put the seeds back in after their shower.

I also try to hang something in their cage for them to play with and nibble on, I try to vary it day to day but it might be a millet spray, a silverbeet/spinach leaf, some tips off an acacia in my backyard. I'm also trying to set up a Cockatiel Garden Patch whick I can grow grains and vegetables to pick as toys and treats, in that I plant to have things like kale, wheat, millet, sunflowers, parsley and other herbs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts