Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband made this seed cleaner for me, my hero!! We had most of the materials around the shed and an old vaccuum cleaner so it only cost $18 for the bucket. i just turn the vaccuum on and put an empty pot under the V bit and pour the old seed into the spout. All the husks go into the bucket and I am left with cleaned seed. So now every few days I clean the seed and they have a day of scraps and I save money. Money saved = more birds I think lol

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is how it works. We looked at several different homemade models and after trying a few found this one works best

Attachments

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I guess this would only work for vacuums that don't have too strong of suction? My vacuum is very powerful and I feel that it would suck everything into the bucket, not just the hulls. Interesting idea. I may try it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vaccuum we are using has adjustable power but I am sure with some adjustment of the length of the piping you could offset the power of your vaccuum.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's an interesting and novel approach to recycling seed. How much seed can it handle?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thre is no limit to what it handles, I just pour at a slow rate into the top, and it is only limited by the size of your containers. There are lots of designs on youtube but this one worked best for us. The husks and some seed stay in the bucket so they could be run through again I suppose but I just give it to my hens. I prefer to recycle like this rather than throw good seed out as I give fresh seed to my breeding pairs and youngsters every day.
I tried the winnowing method of clearing the husks but ended up with a lot of mess lol

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That is SO awesome! :clap:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Freaky Cool! Glad you found something that works for you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts