Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I have been handling a lot of chicks this year. My cockatiel family is expanding and this has brought me the need for more space. Last March I built a flight cage to replace an old damaged one.

It is 4 feet tall (1.2 meters) by 4 feet wide and 2 feet (0.6 meters) deep. Four "frames" (for lack of a better word) are open on each corner for nest boxes approximately 6 inches (15 cm) by 6 inches wide. Built from 2X3's and bolt-on wheels its very easy to move and clean under.

I am very happy with this design and decided to build a second one.

Making use of the nest box frames I realized after finishing it that it was possible to use this opening to connect the two together.

Salvaging an old playstand from a cage that eventually got thrown away seemed to make it complete. Still looking into what to put on top of the other one.

That's Zero and Pikachu, grandparents of most of the flock. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Love it! We also make our aviaries so I know how much planning and work go into it, and the satisfaction of standing back and thinking, I did that!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That looks great!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's so cool, well done! :thumbu:

·
Registered
786 Posts
The cage looks great! I am wondering however, how do you keep them from breeding- sisters with brothers, mothers to sons, etc..?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cage looks great! I am wondering however, how do you keep them from breeding- sisters with brothers, mothers to sons, etc..?
I usually sell the youngest ones within a few months immediately after weaning. The others I pair in a smaller cage and only release them after being confident they're bonded or when I know it won't work I originally built the second one to house chicks, so far I haven't had any problems like that so I just figured attaching the two couldn't hurt. If something like that were to happen, it would be no problem for me to separate them in different flight cages. Covering that nest box opening used to connect both cages would be very easy. I buy dedicated breeders from outside my flock and try to bond them with either a chick or an adult I own already.

Why don't they have toys?
They do, there are a few bells spread around and a chewable toy sitting toward the front of the right cage. There are also swings and a plastic toy visible on the play stand. Both of these cages together are 8 feet long, the 5 megapixel camera on my phone is pretty bad at picking small details like that up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Holy heck! Awesome stuff going on there! :thumbu:

·
Registered
139 Posts
They do, there are a few bells spread around and a chewable toy sitting toward the front of the right cage. There are also swings and a plastic toy visible on the play stand. Both of these cages together are 8 feet long, the 5 megapixel camera on my phone is pretty bad at picking small details like that up.
I think they would probably appreciate a lot more than that... I like to keep 15+ in the cage at all times and my cages aren't as large. They are constantly utilized and I can't imagine not providing them. Cockatiels get bored of the same thing so quickly.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they would probably appreciate a lot more than that... I like to keep 15+ in the cage at all times and my cages aren't as large. They are constantly utilized and I can't imagine not providing them. Cockatiels get bored of the same thing so quickly.
I'm beginning to think you're right. After building the second, instead of buying more I just sort of spread out the toys I already own.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
So cool! I wish I was that handy! :'D What is the grid you used made out of? I need something like that to put over the bars of the 1-in bar spacing of the ferret nation my guys have. I figure it might be cheaper and just as effective than buying a whole new cage with proper bar spacing.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So cool! I wish I was that handy! :'D What is the grid you used made out of? I need something like that to put over the bars of the 1-in bar spacing of the ferret nation my guys have. I figure it might be cheaper and just as effective than buying a whole new cage with proper bar spacing.
I have fixed a cage once before in a similar way you are describing. Take care to wrap any remaining sharp ends around something so that they don't pose a danger to your pets (it goes without saying).

I used a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch grid (about 13 mm in metric). It comes in various roll lengths and widths. I lucked out on a deal for 4 foot (1.2 m) wide roll over 100 feet (30 m) in length.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have fixed a cage once before in a similar way you are describing. Take care to wrap any remaining sharp ends around something so that they don't pose a danger to your pets (it goes without saying).

I used a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch grid (about 13 mm in metric). It comes in various roll lengths and widths. I lucked out on a deal for 4 foot (1.2 m) wide roll over 100 feet (30 m) in length.
Awesome thanks!! Is it stainless steel? I've seen so many different ones at the hardware store, I'm not sure which one I should be looking at getting. :x

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stainless steel is very expensive. The hardware stores in my area don't even carry it. This is galvanized. Galvanized mesh needs to be treated with a wash of vinegar, left to set, then rinsed thoroughly. Or, you can leave it outside exposed to rain and the elements for three months and scrub it with soap and water remove any remaining zinc flakes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts