Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m new here, but have been reading the forum a while. My daughter has a cockatiel about 12 weeks old. It’s an awesome little guy. She has been home with it everyday for the last month. Today, I realized that when she goes to her mothers on the weekend, I do not have the time for it when she is gone. I am gone almost all day on the weekends and when school starts she will be gone at school plus have soccer almost everyday until about 9 pm or so. Could this bird be happy with this type of schedule? My daughter loves this bird and would be heart broken if we got another one and it no longer wanted to interact with her. Should we get a second? Also, It used to flock call whenever it heard someone or we left the room. For the last week it stopped, is that normal?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! :)

The best thing you can do for a single 'tiel is make the cage exciting with plenty of toys to play with to keep him active and occupied when he's by himself. Shreddable toys made with natural wood, coconut fibre, wicker and loofah are favourite toy materials in my flock. They spend hours picking them apart. Also natural wood perches make good chew toys for them. Bells are much enjoyed too. Having a little noise in the background (like a quiet radio) is helpful too, so he's not left in silence while you and your daughter are out. If he's located by a window he can watch what's happening outside (my flock are obsessed with windows, their curiosity gets the better of them and they enjoy watching the outside world. That depends on where you are located though, as cars and their noises and lights generally frighten them, I am out in the country so the outside view is less chaotic).

If you do decide to get another 'tiel, there's no guarantee the two birds will get along and you may end up having to separate them. If your current 'tiel is tame there is less of a chance of her losing the bond with your daughter in favour of the new 'tiel.

Flock calling is normal and is to be taken as a compliment really. It means they've bonded with you. Even though I have a few 'tiels and they have each other's company, my tamest birds always flock call for me. If they're doing it a lot (like non-stop) it can be a sign that they're stressed, so perhaps the lack of flock calling means your 'tiel is feeling more comfortable and secure in his new environment.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Mike! If you get a new cockatiel and it gets along with your first one, the first cockatiel will still be tame but it will not consider your daughter its best friend any more, as highlighted in point 3. I give the following advice to anyone considering getting a companion bird for their first bird. You should ask yourself these questions before making your decision.

1) Do you want another bird?

2) When two cockatiels are introduced to each other, they usually become best friends with each other. If your cockatiel is tame and loves you he will continue to be tame and love you, but you will no longer be his best friend.

3) If you don't know your cockatiel's sex and you get a cockatiel of the opposite sex they might breed.

4) Although cockatiels generally will get along with each other, there is no guarantee that they will and you will have to be prepared to house them separately or rehome one of them if they end up not getting along. Some people say that hand-reared cockatiels don't bond with other cockatiels as easily as parent-raised ones do.

5) You will have to quarantine the new bird for 30 days to be safe. During this period of time they need to be in separate cages and separate rooms.

Vicki made a really good point about the toys, definitely try that first. :) Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
2) When two cockatiels are introduced to each other, they usually become best friends with each other. If your cockatiel is tame and loves you he will continue to be tame and love you, but you will no longer be his best friend.
I disagree with this statement. Here's why:

I have a 5 year old male cockatiel Coco, he has been with me since he was 9 weeks old. He is a special needs boy as he had a very rough upbringing, was kicked out of the nest early which gave him an injury that resulted in him never having the ability to fly. He instantly became a "velcro-bird" and imprinted on me (he jumped straight for me and clung to my shirt at the breeder's), would stick to me like glue and would shun my other 'tiels and even chase them off if they came close to me. He is very protective of me and used to be nasty to any other human that came close. So I'm pretty certain I am his best friend as he prefers to be with me over my other 'tiels. Recently he has learnt to tolerate his flock mates (and other people too) but will still sing up a storm to me and flock call for me when I go out of the room. He used to be with me 24/7 but not so much now which has definitely improved his socialization and helped him become less possessive and clingy. He really is a full hands-on, cuddly, super affectionate little guy.

My point here is that ultimate tameness, and "best friend" cockatiels do exist in mutiple 'tiel households. It's a case-by-case basis as no two 'tiel personalities are the same. Some of them just latch on to their human and hold on tight. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I disagree with this statement. Here's why:

I have a 5 year old male cockatiel Coco, he has been with me since he was 9 weeks old. He is a special needs boy as he had a very rough upbringing, was kicked out of the nest early which gave him an injury that resulted in him never having the ability to fly. He instantly became a "velcro-bird" and imprinted on me (he jumped straight for me and clung to my shirt at the breeder's), would stick to me like glue and would shun my other 'tiels and even chase them off if they came close to me. He is very protective of me and used to be nasty to any other human that came close. So I'm pretty certain I am his best friend as he prefers to be with me over my other 'tiels. Recently he has learnt to tolerate his flock mates (and other people too) but will still sing up a storm to me and flock call for me when I go out of the room. He used to be with me 24/7 but not so much now which has definitely improved his socialization and helped him become less possessive and clingy. He really is a full hands-on, cuddly, super affectionate little guy.

My point here is that ultimate tameness, and "best friend" cockatiels do exist in mutiple 'tiel households. It's a case-by-case basis as no two 'tiel personalities are the same. Some of them just latch on to their human and hold on tight. :)
That's a good point, Vicki. I'm really glad Coco found you too. :) I guess a better for me to put it is that if someone gets a new cockatiel because they can't spend enough time with their first one, it is likely (but not set in stone) that the old one will bond more with the new one due to the amount of time spent away from the owner.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
You have a good point, too. The hardest part is not knowing what will happen until you put them together! It can be unexpected, it can go smoothly, or not.

I've had pairs that I've put together and they've bonded and fallen in love and then eventually it's turned into a bondage relationship which resulted in me having to separate them (then after a couple of years separate I've reunited them and it's like they're falling in love for the first time again!). Or pairs that have not liked each other one bit from the start but then warm up to each other eventually. But at the moment I think I have harmony in my flock with 5 in a large indoor aviary and 2 in another cage in a peaceful spot by the window.

I feel like I'm juggling cockatiels sometimes! :blush:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts