Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some seashells from North Carolina. Is it safe to give them to the tiels to play with? Should they be treated or boiled first, in order to kill any germs? I want them to be safe.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Good question. I would boil them to get the sea minerals off but I'm just wondering if they are a little too hard for them *beak damage, etc*. I have a bunch and was thinking of making a toy with them but I'm still not sure...Hopefully someone will come along that knows better.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I've never even really thought about it. I would think that if you boil them first then you shouldn't have a huge problem with them...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bea and Babyluv12. I'm going to boil the shells.

As for the hardness fac`tor, I didn't even think of that. I do have some toys that I bought that have shells. So we know they exist.

I'm going to give the place I bought the birds a call and see what they say. They are full time bird enthusiasts. I will post what they tell me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seashells Update

I spoke with the shop that I purchased the birds from. As for seashells that I picked up from the beach, they don't recommend giving them to the birds, even if they are boiled.

The bottom line is, you still don't know what may be in the shells. And it could be dangerous to the birds.

Just wanted to follow up.

Kathie

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought them from "Paterson Bird Store".

When I was doing my research, I called four credible vets in my area (Northern NJ) In fact, two of the vets are who I used and totally trusted them with my dogs and cats well-beings (i am unfortunately down to one pooch); and all four told me about this shop.

I was so pleased when I first went in. It is immacualate and it is all about the birds. The place really seems to care. I was really nervous when I just brought Pucca & Peaches home and I must have called them between 10 to 12 times. It was not a problem. They were very patient with all of my questions. And continue to be.

But I do have to say this forum is a big help. I was telling them about it. I wanted to get the wings clipped and the feet checked. I just feel better having someone else look. THey heard of this site.

Which is a good thing.

Kathie

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Well, I checked my local petstore and they have alot of toys with shell so I don't think it's really an issue once they are boiled. The petstore employee might have told u know so u don't start making ur own toys...and not buy any.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think they would be safe. But don't give it to them if you are going to worry all the time they are chewing it.

It is your decision :D
But I think they would be safe for them to have.:)

·
Registered
581 Posts
some shell grits contain tiny spiralled shells which they crunch up...
i have lots of fishtanks and i have seashells to help keep the tanks from going acid and for fish to hide in... my tiel Cinnamaroll likes to throw the smaller ones around... but her favourite toys are 'wish bubbles' kinda flattened coloured marbles! she likes to throw them at people, one day i was sitting on the couch with my head resting on my arms on my knees, and Cinn threw a 'wish bubble' and it landed perfectly in the tiny section of butt-crack :p it was sooo cold and i jumped high!
Cinn looked like she was laughing inside!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts