Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What suggestions would you give for minimizing screetching?

I have an unhappy neighbor (apartment living) as Woodstock is screetching a lot. We have had unusually warm temps so the windows are open. He hears the other birds, and also I know he's calling for me.

I spend time with him in the morning scratching his head and talking to him. Sometimes I will bring out his cage so that he's out w/me and the 2 kittens. He is allowed to fly in my bedroom w/access to his cage there. He goes in his cage before I leave and then I shut the bedroom door to keep him safe.

He gets going w/the screetching and it's nearly impossible to stop him. :eek:

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You can try covering his cage (I realize you said its warm so maybe only when you're home and he screetches) and uncovering him when he stops. Is he only doing it when you aren't home?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roxy. No, he's doing it throughout the day.

I've tried the covering angle, but it doesn't work for long.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Buddy's doing the same thing, once I lift the cover she starts up. And I can't even get her out of the cage to give her extra attention :/.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Have either of you tried hormone reduction techniques?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've only tried covering the cage when she acts up, then uncovering her when she's quiet.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It could be hormones you might want to extend her sleeping hours at night to 12-14hrs. You should start seeing a change in about two weeks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Roxy - Tonight Woodstock starts going to bed at 8 PM. I'm up at 6:30, but I have always left him covered until 9AM.

It's been a steady routine of covering him to quiet him and then remove it after awhile when he quiets down. I feel bad for him because I want him to enjoy his day. Right now he's in my bedroom flipping around clothes and very aggressive when I go in there to check on him. Little s***!

I feel sorry for you seven; hopefully this method works for you too!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I hope it works for the both of you, gotta get your babies back! He may see your clothes as his nest, just an FYI!;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts