Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Lorenzo has taken up a new habit of extremely loud screeching. It's a single pitch and almost sounds like a hawk or eagle. He mainly does it in the morning and evening when we are sitting near him watching tv. He used to do it for a few minutes, then stop. Back then I figured it was just flock calling. Now he's been going on for 20 min or longer. I've tried ignoring it, and he just gets louder. If I walk over near his cage he stops. But I feel as though by walking over to the cage I'm enforcing the screeching. When he does it at night I cover him up and that stops it but during the day it's like he knows it's not night time and he screeches louder under the cover. I normally get him out for a while everyday in the bedroom away from the dog and cat. That's our one on one time and he really enjoys it. But then as soon as I put him back in his cage the screeching starts up again. He has a huge cage with plenty of toys to keep him busy. Whenever I'm in the room with him I talk to him and we whistle to each other. I don't see how he could be bored. We live in an apartment complex now and you can literally hear him screeching from the parking lot even with all the doors and windows closed. I'm worried someone else in our building is going to become angry with how extremely loud he has become.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before and found a way to stop it? Or at least slow it down a bit?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Joey was a screecher, and this sounds a lot like he was. What worked for us was leaving his cage door open at all times when we are home, awake and not cooking. We used to let him out for a while then put him back. Once we made it where he was free to come and go as he pleased, or at least know he had the option, he became a whole new bird. He went from screeching when I was out of the room to screeching when I was in the room, to screeching even when I was right beside him. I was also worried a neighbor would complain. Why no one did was beyond me. We tried what we thought was everything, before stumbling on the idea of just leaving his doors opened.

I know your situation is different, with other pets, but that is what worked for us and Joey.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I was able to do that. The cat has no interest in him at all but the dog is fascinated by him so I don't trust letting him come and go from his cage as he pleases. I'm glad you found a way to stop it. I know how annoying the screeching can be.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I wish I could think of something to suggest. Safety is so important, and natural dog curiosity makes it hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts