Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i put chico in his cage because i had to step out and he let out a scream twice that sounded like he was in so much pain!!! when he screamed both times he was attempting to climb the cage door trying to get out. he did have a swollen leg but its been 2 weeks! he still walks awkwardly but could it be climbing hurt him? the other sides of the cage are covered with flat cushions so hes not able to climb the sides. but i dont understand why he wont stay in, even at night its a hassle, i have to try at least 5 times to keep him in! why does he hate his cage so much? he never disliked it this much before!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Make sure he likes his cage. You can do that by adding more toys. When he is screaming ignore him so he knows screaming won't get him any attention. But if he is hurt don't ignore him. If he only screams when he is in his cage then he just wants out. But if he screams in pain a lot, take him to a vet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Whenever a person is having a behavioral issue with a bird, the very first thing they need to do is figure out why. Only then can you begin to solve the problem. It really helps to do your research on bird behavior, natural habitats, proper diets, etc even when you are already an experienced owner because you never know when an issue may be tied indirectly to something else, and having the best rounded knowledge will help you the best.

Observe your bird very carefully and research their behaviors online to see if you can simply match the symptoms to a cause without the very lengthy method I'm about to suggest:

Armed with parrot knowledge, I've found that the easiest method is simply trial and error. Try addressing different potential problems, and if the solution doesn't work, try a different one. Here's what I'd do, personally, in your situation:

1. The first thing I want to cancel out is that he really, truly, is in pain. Try touching and handling the leg where the swelling is, does he cry out in pain? Does he show pain when he's walking or running around? What about when he lands after a flight? Is it only when he climbs on the door of his cage, on the inside? I would try putting him on the outside of the door to his cage and maybe on other climbable places as well and note whether or not he displays pain then. Does he only scream when I leave the room, or does he scream whenever he climbs around inside of his cage? If he's only screaming when I left the room, the chances of him being in pain are very low. If he's displaying pain during the other tests, behavioral issue or not, I'd take him to a vet for a checkup, just in case. If he checks out okay, I'd try tackling the most common problem with birds screaming inside of their cages.

2. The most common problem that this could be is that he simply doesn't want to be in his cage. I would hold him near his cage and reward heavily (treats and praise). Then, I'd build it up to heavy rewarding when I hold him in his cage. Then, I'll reward him for sitting on his perch while my hands/arms are still in the cage. Then rewarding for me being able to step back with him in. Then rewarding for allowing me to shut the door. Then shutting the door and leaving the room, etc. All of this would be done in baby steps; I may spend an entire week rewarding him heavily whenever I hold him near his cage. During this time, I would also ignore any screaming he does while in the cage and only, ONLY pay attention to him when he's quiet/making acceptable noises while in the cage. Another thing I would do would be to RANDOMLY give him treats when he's in his cage, so that he learns that the cage is a good place where treats are given. I would also only give him food/water while in the cage, so that he learns that it is a necessary space (of course don't forget to put him in there every half hour or so if you usually have him out all day!).

3. If there isn't any progress (not success, but progress) within about a week or so, I'd try something else. I'd look up reasons why a bird might scream inside of it's cage, and then tackle the training suggested for each reason. For example, if he's afraid of something switch out his toys/perches systematically until he settles down, or change things in his environment until you find the source of the fear. If he's screaming because he's flock calling you, because you left the room, simply call back when he does. Etc. There are many reasons why a bird might scream in it's cage. Through trial and error, you will eventually find the right solution to your problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the advice!! i think he just did not like his cage with all the padding i added to prevent him for climbing and further injuring his leg. Hes better now and i have removed the padding and he goes in willingly :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sometimes new things being added to a cage can scare them and make them not want to be in there. Glad it's worked out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts