Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've decided to experiment with scheduled feeding for Kirby bird again. He's a seed junkie, and completely ignores the bowl of pellets in his cage to favor the seed. I wanted to do three meals a day, one for pellets, one for seed, and one for fresh fruits/veggies. I just wanted some opinions on the following things:

1. How many hours should he go between each meal?

2. I'm planning on doing fruits/veggies in the morning, since they're his least favorite, because I figured he'd be hungriest then. Does it matter if pellets or seed are the midday/evening meal? Is one easier to digest than the other? Which meals should the seed and pellets be?

3. Have any of you had success with such a specific schedule like the one I'm hoping to make?

Thanks so much for everything, guys. I really need to fix this bird's diet.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'll be perfectly honest, I wouldn't attempt this. Birds will starve themselves or he'll wait all day for the seeds and then just pig out on them.

The best idea would be to try the veggies or pellets very first thing in the morning for about an hour before putting the seed in the cage. This will help promote him to eat those. But removing the seed entirely throughout the day is just not a good idea. Tiels graze they don't eat all their food in one sitting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll be perfectly honest, I wouldn't attempt this. Birds will starve themselves or he'll wait all day for the seeds and then just pig out on them.
He does eat pellets by himself, it's just that he overeats the seed; I need to control the amount of seed that he's getting. If there's pellets and no seed he'll eat the pellets just fine.

Phoenix, the article was really helpful, thanks!

I'm being very careful and watching him closely. If he starts losing or gaining weight, or isn't eating, or is waiting just for the seed meal and then pigging out then I will stop the scheduled feeding. Right now, though, I just want to try it out because I really need to control the amount of seed he's eating.

For the first time since I adopted him, he tried some healthy stuff this morning! I'd taken his food out last night, and this morning I offered him some chopped celery and blueberries and he nibbled at some, which he'd never done before. Then he had his seed lunch, and in a few minutes I'm going to give him a bowl of pellets for dinner. So far, so good. I'll update things as they go along so that you guys know that he isn't starving himself.

Tiels graze they don't eat all their food in one sitting
Something I could do instead is to remove all food from his cage at night, give him fruits/veggies/sprouts for breakfast, then put his pellets in his cage all day, and for dinner give him the opportunity to eat seed. Leaving the pellets in there will allow him to graze, having the healthy stuff in the morning might encourage him to eat it because he's hungrier, and then seeds for dinner provide him with the nutrition that seeds provide without him overeating them.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The problem is maintaining a proper diet. A tiel's diet is supposed to contain mostly seed, with pellets and other foods tossed in for balance. Too many pellets and you could cause kidney issues. Too many seeds cause liver issues. It's all about balance. I always left both seeds and pellets in the cage for my birds. They never had an issue eating one or the other because the pellets were fun to crack.

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27479 this sticky explains the best diet to feed a tiel and the best ratio to feed them at.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Have you tried Nutriberries or Pelletberries? My flock goes crazy for both of these and will go for them over a bowl of seed.

What worked for me was putting the seed bowls in the lower half of the cage and having the pellet bowls up highest. Because they prefer to be up high, they eat more of the pellets because they're right there, and they have to climb all the way down almost to the bottom if they want seed. I estimate that they eat equal amounts of pellets/Nutriberries and seed mix.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roxy culver, you were right, the scheduled feeding didn't really work out. He didn't lose any weight, luckily, but he wouldn't eat the meals (he'd take a few bites and that'd be it). I stopped unofficially a day or two in, but decided this morning that I was for sure done with the idea (except the part about removing food at night and introducing veggies and some fruits for breakfast).

Vickitiel that's a great idea! I'll definetly try that; I have a bowl that hooks on the side of the cage and I also have a feeding platform, so I can just put the seeds in the hooked bowl and place that lower and give him his pellets on the platform.

What are nutriberries/pelletberries? Are they more nutritious than normal pellets, or do they just taste better? I looked up some pictures but it was hard to tell, can they replace pellets entirely? It looked like they have seed in them.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Nutriberries do have seeds in them but they also have everything pellets have them. Think of them as a healthy seed. And tiels are more likely to eat them than pellets because they are seed and not pellets.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I've gotten a few pieces from Fallen Feathers, but I'm going out to buy my own soon. The pet stores have them at 10 bucks for a small container, so I'm hoping they'll be cheaper at Walmart, if they have them. I have yet to check. If I can't find them cheaper than ten bucks, I don't think I'll be able to feed him them all the time, but some seed replaced with nutriberries is better than none :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You don't feed a lot at once. It's like one or two pieces a day I think (I've never fed them, always just stuck with pellets and seeds.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, okay. In that case ten bucks a bag isn't so bad. Thanks for all the help guys, I plan on buying my own container tomorrow or soon after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts