Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Tiel Luka who is 2 months old is afraid of hands (which i predicted because the pet store guy caught him hardly to put him in the cage) he steps up on a stick but when i get my hand closer he starts to hiss and gets in a read-to-attack position. That also happens when i get my hand on the bars of the cage(he usually just backs up)
Anything i can do to make him comfortable?

Luka enjoying balcony view in the afternoon

·
Registered
482 Posts
First of all that's a VERY pretty young bird! I've had two from different clutches that looked just like him. Pretty sure after a few molts he will turn out to be a nice normal grey. As to the handling, that sounds pretty normal for a young bird especially if it was rushed on hand taming and feeding them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First of all that's a VERY pretty young bird! I've had two from different clutches that looked just like him. Pretty sure after a few molts he will turn out to be a nice normal grey. As to the handling, that sounds pretty normal for a young bird especially if it was rushed on hand taming and feeding them.
Thanks for the compliment and for telling me its normal😊

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the compliment and for telling me its normal😊
You can hand tame it. Try grabbing him with a towel or gloves so he won’t bite your hand. Then pet his head and keep doing this every day. This is how I tamed my very aggressive tiel and she was also a baby when I got her.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can hand tame it. Try grabbing him with a towel or gloves so he won’t bite your hand. Then pet his head and keep doing this every day. This is how I tamed my very aggressive tiel and she was also a baby when I got her.
When i tried grabbing him with a towel he started screaming very loudly,i was very careful not to hurt him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You would scream loudly too if someone grabbed and through something over you. Use this as a LAST resort method as every time you do that, it breaks what trust you have built up with your bird,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I told you😏
I only used the towel when he escaped from the cage (somehow) but it seems that he erased the trust between us the next five minutes (because when i tried to get him to eat from my hand he hissed and when i was gonna change his food he also hissed, as if the progress he made got erased from his mind, im working with him RN but he is still hissing

·
Registered
135 Posts
I only used the towel when he escaped from the cage (somehow) but it seems that he erased the trust between us the next five minutes (because when i tried to get him to eat from my hand he hissed and when i was gonna change his food he also hissed, as if the progress he made got erased from his mind, im working with him RN but he is still hissing
It takes time. I think it took a week for my birds. I had 2 and they were siblings but one was easier to tame than the other one. They made me and my mom bleed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts