Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
This might sound crazy but i wouldn't use gloves. Hands are often scary enough to a bird but gloves send them wild. I feel it would only worsen your relationship with him. Aly might have something in that he's becoming cage territorial, do you change his cage around often (toys and perches)? If not i would start doing that once a week. Tiels that get enough sleep are usually happier and less grumpy, so if you don't already, make sure he's getting 10-12 hours covered each night. :)

So that should help make him less likely to bite you, but that doesn't help you feel less scared. I've not been bitten hard by any of my birds (the budgies can't bite hard enough to really put me off, and the tiels are softies) but i have been bitten super hard by a friends lovebird. It made my finger bleed and it was tender for ages and needless to say i was scared of the lovebird. :p Eventually she went on holidays and me being the birdy person i am got to look after the lovie. Because i knew he was cage territorial and i would get my finger munched if i put my hand IN the cage i simply let him jump out onto my finger himself. No biting. At first i was still really nervous and sat him on my knee or arm rather than hand, but after a few days of no bites i became more confident.

Most of the time all my two cockatiels, and most cockatiels, do is bluff bite. They either lunge or they beak your hand/finger without meaning to bite hard. If yours does this you just need to ignore it, and i can't see him really biting hard again for no reason. If he goes in for the kill everytime maybe try to get him to step up onto a piece of perch or alternatively your arm or closed fist so that he can't get a beak hold. I use a closed fist if Bailee is being particularly grumpy. I think if you can go a while without getting bitten you will feel more comfortable with him. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.