Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning- this is a long post -sorry! I lost my 6 month old cockatiel about 6 weeks ago. He was extremely friendly and attached to all of us in the home. I take care of my mom full time and she had a stroke over a yr ago, so she’s always in her chair all day and he was spoiled! He was also very happy and kinda hyper lol! I was devastated, I got him w/o planning to after losing my son. Well I am far away from my kids and grandchildren and have so much love to give, so I searched and finally found “the one” but she/he was already sick one time and they gave him/her a broad spectrum antibiotic, and seems fine now. It was definitely sick tho. I don’t know if this baby might not live long after already having to have an antibiotic.. the guy there is always on the bird side and has been keeping a close eye on him and says he shows no signs of being sick anymore. I can see he’s not acting like he was there for about a week. I don’t know if I’m overthinking everything or what? My big problem is that I’m so afraid that I’m not gonna bond with him!! He doesn’t want to do the step up game when I go visit him, my other bird LOVED it!? This bird just doesn’t seem excited when I’m talking and engaging with him... I am so afraid that he’s just gonna wanna stay in his cage and not be a people bird?! I don’t want to sound like a bad bird owner... I’m really afraid tho. My 1st baby was my 1st ever cockatiel and it’s like he was heaven sent from my son, he loved EVERYONE!! The 1st day he came home was my grandbabies 3rd bday, and we had a lot of people here (only one little one my grandson) he happily went from person to person and loved it. Should I back out and pick another bird? I have already had him/her picked out for weeks. They are hand fed at a bird and fish only type store, family owned and are extremely knowledgeable and great with all the different birds there... so they did have more tiels come in and there’s one I like in that group also...??? I’m thinking will this birds personality change when he/she comes home with me?? Sorry for the crazy long post... I have been so anxious over this and honestly need advice.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If it doesn't feel right don't do it. Let the bird pick you. If the bird is being stand off-ish it might be a good idea to go with a different bird. When my Cinnamon picked me, she pressed herself against the cage bars to get to me and didn't want me to leave. You will know if the bird is right for you and if you are having doubts it may be best to wait and pick another.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.