Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! I just bought my first cockatiel yesterday, and i was wondering about his behavior. He is climbing all over the cage and thrashing around and screaming. He is bought from a pet store, so maybe that might have something to do with it. Or is this just normal for a new bird ? Oh and also this is not during night, so its not night fright?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it hand tame at all?

Sounds like we are not used too a cage yet. Or he's not liking the food. Cockatiels only eat high quality seeds. Mine like Sunseed, Zupreem Pellets, Bonanza and Browns. I am looking too try anther type of pellets too. They like budgie fruit Zupreem pellets too. PetSmart is a good source here in Canada that has cheap shipping or no shipping if you spend over a certain small amount.

How about some rope perches and toys too hide behind and snuggle up too.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Settling into a new home environment can be a very stressful time for them and it will take a while for him to become comfortable and get used to you. Give him a few days to calm down and relax and he should come right eventually. Don't let him out of the cage until he has stopped having these anxious episodes. Give him plenty of treats (millet spray is a favourite) to entice him to eat, but be aware he may not be interested in food for the first few days.

Please keep us updated on your new cockatiel and don't hesitate to post about any other questions or concerns you may have. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I think he might want to get out and fly because he is pacing around the cage like he is trying to find a way out. But i think it would not be a good idea to let him out just yet since he is not tame at all and i would have to catch him and put him back in the cage and that would make me even more scarier in his eyes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
scared

Yes, don't let him out of his cage until he calms down and stops his "panic attacks." In a panicked fight, he could easily crash into a window or other object and be seriously injured or killed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts