Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone! i got a baby cockatiel (named parker) a little over a week ago & took him (or her) back where i got him for a check-up. there were a few people in line right when he opened & i was first in line with my tiel. he inspected parker, fed him, & trimmed his nails very fast and recklessly. parker didn’t get hurt or anything but he has been very aggressive since, being scarred that I would do the same to him. i think the man did it so fast because he was in a hurry to get to his other customers. i know he really does care about birds but i’m just not sure why he did that. it’s quite frustrating because i am the one that has to know deal with that. he never seemed aggressive or scared of hands before the check-up. now parker tries to bite my hand (which doesn’t hurt whatsoever thankfully because he is a baby) if it gets close to him at all. he isn’t scared of anything but my hands. the poor little guy. i can’t even clean his face & chest at all because he thinks that the small piece of tissue is trying to attack him. i want to take him to get a check-up every week for his health but the guy is so reckless with parker. i will tell him to be very gentle with parker next time but it makes me think i’ll have to ‘tame’ him every week after the visit.. any advice?

thanks!!
-kaylor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Kaylor,
I am thinking that your baby is feeling violated by the breeder’s hands as though he’s a predator out of natural instinct. I was “bird sitting” a friend’s cockatiels and they told me it’s a good idea for a person who is grooming a tiel to use a towel, or something like that, to wrap their hands in. The bird may form a dislike for the towel, but at least it’s not your hand. Also, I know that some birds can be territorial over the one place they should always feel safe - their cage. Your baby may never be okay with your hand in his/her space. When your tiel seems calm, place a perch just inside the door of the cage to “step up” on and when feasible and safe for the both of you, see if your baby will transfer to your hand. You may have to slowly lure with a treat until trust is established.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Kaylor,
I am thinking that your baby is feeling violated by the breeder’s hands as though he’s a predator out of natural instinct. I was “bird sitting” a friend’s cockatiels and they told me it’s a good idea for a person who is grooming a tiel to use a towel, or something like that, to wrap their hands in. The bird may form a dislike for the towel, but at least it’s not your hand. Also, I know that some birds can be territorial over the one place they should always feel safe - their cage. Your baby may never be okay with your hand in his/her space. When your tiel seems calm, place a perch just inside the door of the cage to “step up” on and when feasible and safe for the both of you, see if your baby will transfer to your hand. You may have to slowly lure with a treat until trust is established.
Hope this helps.
it sure did! thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts