Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I've been busy with school and things, and was planning to be more involved in the community during my breaks
But it doesn't look like that will be happening, as my sister was just recently confirmed as severely allergic to birds.
On the bright side, this means that my mother no longer has to force her to eat eggs as she physically can not eat them.
On the down side, this means I need to part with Shiraarat, my cockatiel of about one year, and Tamasha, my budgie of about 5 years now.
I end up crying every time I think about parting with Tamasha, so I'm trying to see the situation as parting with Shiraarat.
He's a sweetheart who I put a lot of time into bonding with and training and so I'm doing my best to keep him out of the clutches of local families who want to entertain their kids but would not take proper care of him at all.
My current plan is to get him to a friend in Chicago who is absolutely infatuated with birds next month as I trust her to take good care of both of the birds.
The irony of this situation is that we got birds because my sisters were at risk for being allergic to cats/dogs.
And so that is everything that has happened for the past two weeks or so.
Shiraarat is now an expert flier, and just today I clipped Tamasha's nails. She seems very traumatized by the experience and determined to bite my fingers off, as always. Shiraarat is also due for a clipping, but I leave that to my dad.
As a side note, does anyone know of any reputable Russian Tortoise breeders in Michigan? I absolutely want to avoid buying from Petco and I'm a bit wary of overnight shipping of animals.
I know it seems heartless of me to start planning for my next pet already, but I'll be purchasing the tortoise in June, at the earliest. I still have to do research and get a job so I can purchase supplies.
Sorry for the rambling.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Can you not just keep the birds in your room, away from your sister, with an air purifier? That usually solves problems with allergies to birds.

I would google for the tortoise breeders, though, so let's try to keep the forum on topic. If anyone has suggestions for tortoise breeders for the poster, please private message them so we can keep the forum on topic.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I agree....can you not look into an air purifier??? I could NOT give up my birds even if a family member is allergic. But that's just me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I live with an elderly family member with lung issues, so I sympathize with your plight. However, we manage his lung issues very well and are able to keep our birds (that's seriously not even an option for me not to, so we HAD to do something). He just was at the doctor yesterday and his lungs are very clear, so what we do is working and would likely work for your sister, too.

-I vacuum every day, thoroughly, and mop our predominately tile floors almost every day.
-We own and use HEPA-filter vacuum cleaner (Dyson Animal DC-48), which does an outstanding job (nothing floats back into the air!).
-Cages and papers are meticulously cleaned every day, sometimes twice a day (and he isn't in the room when it's done).
-All birds are misted or showered daily (this helps with dander a LOT).
-He has a high-end air purifier in his bedroom and sleeps with the door shut.
-Once a day I open the windows and do a fresh-air exchange (healthy even in the dead of winter).
-We change the house filters once every two weeks (find a place that sells your size online and save tons over local stores).
-Our family member does nebulizer breathing treatments in home, has an inhaler, and is on medication for his breathing issues.

I hope you can please try. You can always find a home for your birds if it doesn't work.
Good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was diagnosed about two weeks ago with having allergies, I bought a hepa air filter and I am doing so much better, giving up my birds and dogs was not a option. I have one running in the room with the birds and another in my bed room and also sleep with the door closed. Try the honeywell true hepa allergen remover , it worked wonders for me. I will try to post the link i got it at target.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was thinking about that too. The diseases reptiles carry....that don't make them sick....freak me out. My daughter had a 5 ft. Iguana for a while. I made her sanitize everything all the time. That could be a health risk for your family too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts