Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I give Dooby something, say a nut or a seed, I always say to him "Oooo, what is it?" and he'll say "Yum yum". So, today, I'm sat at the computer as usual, looking at some t-shirt designs and he's sat in his cage beside me, just watching the computer. It was quiet and I hear this little voice say "Oooo, what is it?" so I said "It's a t-shirt", then I realised I'm having a conversation with Dooby!!!!!!!! He hasn't got a clue what a t-shirt is, so is he smart for starting the conversation, or am I daft for answering? :p:p:p:p

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL!! I talk to Dooby and Daisy all the time, just like they were kids really, but this is the first time that he's said that phrase "Ooo, what is it?" so it just made me smile a bit to think that I'd answered him before I realised it was him.....if you see what I mean. LOL.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I do it all the time too! People look at me like I'm nuts but they really seem to make an effort to understand. The way they look at you and cock thier head to the side. It's irresistable

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think the birds understand a whole lot more than we give them credit for I think that becuse you say ooo whats that before you give him a treat it was probubly his way of asking for a treat he is assosiating what you say when you give him something. When my African Grey says fresh water there ya go she's asking for me to give her fresh water because when I give her something I say there ya go so now she assosiate those words with getting something does that make sense I hope so.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it makes perfect sense, Dooby does say certain things at certain times. Like when I uncover him he says "Good morning" he doesn't say that at any other time of the day, there are lots of things that he says that are associated with things. It's just that this was the first time he'd actually said "What is it?" and I was miles away looking at the t-shirt, so I answered him with it not really registering that it was him.......if you see what I mean. LOL.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
You know after thinking about it and re-telling your story for a couple of days it occured to me that Doobie saying that might be his way of asking for a treat! That would be very logical and very clever of him.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thats great!!! So everyone on here that loves birds... when somebody calls you a "bird brain" you don't have to take it as an insult. lol just kidding. It is really amazing how smart birds are, especially cockatiels!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.