Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Say "No" to babies

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Peek-A-Boo 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to get another bird. I have one budgie who talks..(I find much joy in hearing that sweet little voice of his), and I have one female cockatiel that I love dearly. I enjoy my budgie's talking so much, that I'd like another bird that mimics or talks. One choice would be to get a male cockatiel, but is it really possible to keep them from mating? I know that I would have to keep them in separate cages, but will they just drive me crazy when he matures and wants to "get to her"? I've looked into several birds...not too LOUD, not too big, but cuddly. The only ones I've come up with are a Parrotlet or a Green Cheek Conure. They're both nippy, which worries me bit. So my question is, how difficult will it be to have a male and female cockatiel and not let them breed, or do you think that I'm just better off getting a GCC or a parrotlet?
Thanks for any advice you might have for me.....Linda:confused:

#2 ·
I've seen plenty of people who keep a male and female together, and claim they've staved off mating by making their 'nights' longer and switching everything around in the cage frequently.

I don't know if this is a very reliable method, but it apparently does a good job of getting them out of them mood when they get in it. If it were me I'd prefer to get another species and avoid possible slip-ups, but that's just my personal choice.

#5 · (Edited)
male and female budgies do not mate unless they have a nesting box
There's no guarantee that you'll get that kind of cooperation from cockatiels! Some tiel hens will lay eggs even though they don't have a nest OR a mate. It all depends on the individual birds, so there's no way to predict what's going to happen. My Vlad and Mims are paired up but there's been no sex and no eggs.

Buster and Shodu are also paired up. They had recreational sex for six months and then Shodu suddenly started laying eggs on the floor of the play gym. I had to run out and buy a nest box. After the first clutch fledged I took out the nestbox and she started another clutch anyway so I had to put it back. She obviously wanted to go for a third clutch but I was able to break the hormone cycle by making her sleep in the closet for some extra-long nights.

Now I'm having to work hard to keep the oldest chicks from making bang bang with each other, and they're only five months old! The closet trick doesn't seem to be working and maybe it takes more than that to derail a horny teenager.

#6 ·
Well i have heard a lot of things about GCC but not once have i heard that they are that nippy. Matter of fact i belong to the conure crazy site and i know of at least 2 other people from here that do as well. All i hear about them is how loving and playful and affectionate they are. So i wouldn't discount owning one if i was you...do some research before you decide, i love my tiels to the enth degree but i am also very much looking forward to adding a GCC to my flock. Hop over to conure crazy website and talk to some people i'm not trying to talk you out of another tiel, since i have a new one on the way i kinda can't lol all i'm saying is keep your options open and get the bird thats going to suit you the best. Better yet do like i did and get the bird that picks you first

Mikey

#7 ·
the only way i've got mine to stop mating is to put them in separate cages and have separate out of cage times and Yes i hear the "mating" call all day long

I don't know anything about parrotlets or conures

but i know any bird can be nippy all mine get in a Nippy mood some more then others

I have a Lovebird who i hand fed, and was the most loving thing went to any one and every one - then she hit 6 months old and turned into a little devil - I can't get any where near her with out being bitten now.

I hope after she turns a year old and she finally gets to mate with her buddy She'll go back to the sweet loving bird That used to sleep in the palm of my hand for hours

#8 ·
If you love your budgie that talks why don't you consider another budgie, cockatiels and GCC etc are still great birds but if you know your other budgie talks why not get another...but I was just thinking if you got another budgie would your other stop the talking..what do people think?? :)

#9 · (Edited)
Why not try a male Indian ring neck they are great talkers not to expensive and I have one and e is the sweetest bird I have he's so cuddly and loves to be with me all the time and he's soooo cute. You have to make sure its a male though because the females can get nippy and cage aggresive some females are fine but I wouldn't take the chance and the males are known to be better talkers mine is just 6 months old he's a hand fed baby

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind about getting a Male Cockatiel. I've decided that getting a male would probably not be a wise decision.
Spike's Mom... your IRN is absolutely stunning:love:. Since you have both an IRN and a GCC, how does your IRN compare in loudness to your GCC. After seeing your post, I only briefly read-up on IRN's, it doesn't sound like they are as nippy as GCC...what is your experience?
Thanks...Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.