Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since we've moved, the birds have seemed to enjoy looking out the window. (I've said before that we used to live in a basement with very little windows.)

Today Sawyer was sitting near the windowsill when he suddenly screamed frantically and took off into another room (which of course, frightens me because he's not all that great at flying quite yet and he's going at top speed; which I've never seen him do). He had a bit of a bumpy landing, but no smashing, so he's okay. :)

However, I wondered what could've possibly made him freak out like that... Outside of our house was a big black crow! They're not all that common around this time of year, but I think it was checking the trash for food.

I guess Sawyer doesn't quite realise that windows mean nothing can get inside, but granted, I'd think a crow was scary if I was a wee cockatiel.

Do bigger birds hunt 'tiels in the wild?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
mine get scared by a couple neighborhood cats that roam around in my yard I always know when it's went past their window because the tiels all go flying around screaching like maniacs which in turn startle the budgies

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I don't think they get that there is the glass protecting them :p they just see something that scares them and take flight to get away.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
They sure do. Mostly hawks and vultures.
Not sure that we have vultures here, but certainly eagles, hawks and falcons would be predators to cockatiels in the wild. Having said that, my guys get frightened if any bigger birds fly past the window (cockatoos, magpies, galahs, etc).

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Me and Spike were looking out the window the other day and a bird flew by. You could see its shadow, Spike took off screaming his warning call and flying around the house :eek: It took me a while to calm him down.

·
Registered
581 Posts
i think one of the things with windows is that it stops the tiels from using their senses to their full potential, when i am in the kitchen, and a currawong (like a magpie, but bigger) flies past the window, the tiels get startled and fly off..i think this is because they cant hear the wildlife quieten, and see the shadow and hear the wingbeat etc. and its like the predator bird comes out of nowhere...
and the reason i think this is when i have the tiels out on harnesses, they sense any potential natural danger (not that anything would attack a tiel on a lead on my shoulder) long before i can see what it is, they see all the signs with the sense we have forgotten to use :p

just my thoughts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(not that anything would attack a tiel on a lead on my shoulder)
You'd be surprised... I actually read somewhere recently that people have had their birds snatched right off their shoulders by predator birds while outside. :eek: Scary.

Not sure how far they'd get with a harness on the bird, but I imagine that would be a terrifying situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts