Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is similar to Rumz's last post about sanitizing wood. My problem, however, has to do with a wood framed cage.

As folks may or may not know, I've got a bit of a problem with birds getting sick and dying on me. Two of the deaths happened in the wood framed cage. I'm reluctant to let it go as the cage is HUGE - 3 feet wide by four feet tall. Perfect breeding cage! - but if I can't disinfect it thoroughly, I might as well toss the thing :(

What would you do in my situation? Disinfect it and keep it, or just toss it? And what would you use to disinfect it with? Right now I'm using 9 parts bleach to one part water, with plans to use Lysol on the toys.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
Is it at all possible for you to replace the wood with new wood, and disinfect the metal parts while the cage is taken apart? If not, the safest thing to do would be to toss it.

If you're reluctant to do that, there's an additional disinfection step that you could take if you've got the ability to keep the cage outdoors for a while. The UV rays in sunlight kill germs, so letting it sit out in the sun for a few days or weeks and rotating it periodically to catch all angles may help kill germs, although the UV rays probably won't penetrate too deeply into the wood.

Your profile info says you're in Canada, so you've probably still got sub-freezing weather going on. Letting the cage freeze could help kill germs too.

Don't let the cage sit out in the rain though. Moisture encourages the development of a lot of microbes and you don't want that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have to agree with tielfan here. The safest thing to do would be to toss it and get yourself a cast iron cage. Easier to clean. Might be a little more expensive but the amount of money you'll safe in man hours cleaning it will justify the cost.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The only way to actually sanitize wood is by soaking it (actually dipping it in not just rub) into a bleach solution /scrub/soak in clear water /scrub / rinse & repeat. An extra thing would be to overheat the wood to kill any germs but I guess when talking about a big cage it'll be difficult to tear it apart or even find an oven that big etc (temperature also depends on the wood and how it's conditioned). If you can't do those then either toss it or just replace the wooden frame. The sun and cold temps that tielfan mentioned are working on one end but depending on the germ. Some germs just go into hibernation let's say and when the temp is right again they just pop back out so you can't be 100 % sure.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! My best bet at this point is just to toss it. The wood frame is quite substantial, so taking it apart would be a problem :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to just put it aside somewhere for some time to rule out the idea of being the cages fault? I mean no offense or disrespect and obviously I want your birdies to be safe but there's always a possibility that it ain't the cage and by just throwing it there's some money lost...I'd probably just store it somewhere if possible for some time (even long time) I have cages in a storage room for like 10 plus years and I always go and grab like an extra door or handle or whatever I might need lol.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd probably just store it somewhere if possible for some time (even long time) I have cages in a storage room for like 10 plus years and I always go and grab like an extra door or handle or whatever I might need lol.
A decent idea, or you can just scrap the wood if you're craft enough and make your own perches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts