Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure what thread was best for this question. Sorry:blush:

Stewies cage has bars on the bottom rather than a flat surface & then under that is a gap with a pull out tray. I assumed he would need a flat surface to stand on & the gap looks too big if I remove the bars so at the pet shop I was advised to put down sandpaper. Through reading through these forums I am under the impression that sandpaper isn't a good idea to use so do I use something else or just leave him with the bars as they are?
Also I keep reading about bedding, is this only for babies or should all tiels have bedding?? :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm not sure if it would work but maybe put newspaper down instead of sandpaper (non-shiny newspaper as I believe the ink is safe for them)
As for bedding - I don't think they need it as they won't spend all of their time on the floor - Woodstocks cage floor is covered in paper pellets that you can use for rabbits/rats/birds etc but thats just because it's easy to clean out. He never uses the floor of his cage.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Newspaper is fine. Bailey's cage floor is bars but I put a double layer of newspaper down so he can forage around. He's always rummaging around down there :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
955 Posts
zippy's cage had bars on the bottom but as they were removable I took them out as zippy hated them, have newspaper on the floor which gets changed everyday as zippy likes to mooch around on the floor of his cage or play with his ball

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
bedding isnt advisable for all tiels, because it builds and harbours bacteria. plain newspaper is best. the grate itself isnt bad, depends what you prefer. both using the grate or using newspaper overtop are safe :)

sandpaper scrapes the feet too much and can cause bacterial infections in the feet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thank you everyone :D I have removed the sandpaper & put newspaper down, will see how he gets on with it :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Mine have the grate and don't seem to mind . They still go down there.

Walmart sells these flexible cutting boards in a 3 pack that you can cut to size and put at the bottom of you cage. They are cheap enough to buy two packs and just wipe them clean. I used these when my budgies were babies and spent time down on the floor. Nothing sticks so very ready to wipe clean. Just an option

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wood finishing is fun and simple. While doing wood finishing different tools are used. If you are a beginner, it's significant to choose the right sandpaper. If you can not choose sandpaper correctly then you face difficulties on doing finishing the wood. Visit this website we provide tips on different sandpapers. Read these tips it is very helpful for you when you choose the sandpaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts