Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone...
Could I have a little advice please if possible?
I am surrently lining my bird cage with sand sheets (no grill due to a poorly foot) and just recently, my birds have been starting to eat it!! This has never been a problem i've encountered with them in the past... Exactly how bad is it for them? Is it normal for them to chew it up? Should I just take it out completely and use something else? I was thinkin og newspaper but then read very conflicting things on the internet to do with the dye.

Sorry if I appear clueless here, I've just never come across this with them before.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Tracey :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use sanded sheets. When I turned up to collect Maxi I had sand sheets and the breeder told me they don't need them and to use newspaper -- which I have for the past 16+ years with no problems. Maxi spends pretty much no time on the bottom of her cage so no worries about ink.

This post is coincidental as I just saw some pet store cockatiels today, very industrially biting up sand paper -- thought this pet store needs to take these sheets out! I think there's a worry that cockatiels will ingest the sand which will be bad for them.

That's my two cents!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks estypest. I will probably use paper of some sort from now on then. Its pretty pointless putting the sand sheets in anyway at the minute, because when all four of them start having a go theres not much left at one side anyway! My lovebirds never seem to chew at anything, or go on the bottom of their cage, so will probably use the rest up on them then switch to paper for both.
Thanks for your reply as well Brandon2k14, I dont have a grill for mine, and one of them struggled to walk on it. I'll see how it goes with the paper, hopefully thery'll leave it alone! I might get one of them refillable paper toys specifically for birds to shred up - maybe its just become their favourite past time, better watch my curtains!!

Thanks again both xx

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi, I agree with etsypest. I also have ever only used newspaper and it has been fine and perfect and, best of all, FREE. :D At the beginning I thought I should not use the ones with a glossy surface (like some flyers you get sometimes) or the ones with colour, but then someone told me that the ink they use now for newspapers and flyers are all safe and made of vegetable ink because people always leave them around and they have to be safe for babies who may chew on them. Just to be extra safe, I don't use anything with a glossy surface but all regular newspapers are fine, even the ones with colours. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts