Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! So I've had my cockatiel Sammi since midsummer. Was never sure if she was a boy or girl until last night when she laid an egg. She's a single bird so it was unfertilized. I noticed late at night when peeking into her cage that she was sitting at the bottom and not acting right. I took her out and looked at her and she had a large loose dropping and then it seemed like she was egg bound. I took her into the bathroom with a hot shower so it got steamy and massaged her, about half an hour later she laid the egg. She hasn't shown much interest in it but I left it in the cage. She immediately started acting like herself again and went to sleep on her usual perch. I called the vet in the morning they said to keep an eye on her and bring her in if anything else happens. My question is should I be expecting more eggs? One thing I did notice today is she still had a large loose dropping. Is this because of the egg yesterday still? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Usually there's more than one egg. In her first clutch in September, Murray laid three - two regular sized and a teeny tiny one :) Your girl will probably lay a few more too, but they are usually laid 1-2 days apart. Just keep an eye. It's a scary time when you've never dealt with it before, but it sounds like you're taking good care of her :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible she wasn't actually egg bound and it was just the process of laying an egg that i witnessed? I'm just afraid if she was egg bound it'll happen again and I don't want it to be when I'm at work or something and don't see it in time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've timed Peppy and she has 26hrs between eggs. She has massive loose poops because she saves them up till she comes out. I sometimes put her gently in warm water to encourage her to poop. She has an average of 4 eggs each time and has been laying continuous clutches for 12 months now. I wish she would have a rest but don't want to move her to a colder, darker room which I think would be the answer.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is it possible she wasn't actually egg bound and it was just the process of laying an egg that i witnessed? I'm just afraid if she was egg bound it'll happen again and I don't want it to be when I'm at work or something and don't see it in time.
It's possible - was she straining? What did it look like?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She didn't seem to be straining. She was sitting on the bottom of the cage. I took her out and she immediately had a large loose dropping. I looked at her vent and it seemed inflamed but clean. I took her into the bathroom in the steam of a shower to relax her and she acted pretty normal the whole time we were in there. Then I let her be in the cage for a little which is when she laid the egg.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
No, it doesn't sound like she was egg bound, but you did a really good job with helping her lay the egg, which can be very stressful and sometimes painful for them. Usually with egg binding (from what I've read), the hen isn't able to poop.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree that doesn't sound like she was egg bound at all. I was absolutely paranoid about it too, though. Murray only had to sit still for a minute and I was poised to ring the vet!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that's a relief to hear. So last night she laid her second egg. She's acting a little different after this one than the first. After the first she basically just walked away from it and went onto her perch for bedtime. After this one she didn't leave the eggs. She's not sitting on them but sitting right next to them and slept there all night. I know she's able to perch bc she did it once but then went back to the eggs. And she hisses everytime I go near the cage, she even hissed at me when I just said her name from across the room. She just left the eggs and is eating now. Is this normal behavior? I know I sound paranoid but I had a budgie who died suddenly at only 3 years old and I never saw a sign of illness so I'm always a little paranoid with this one!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So all day yesterday Sammi mostly spent in the cage sitting next to the eggs. She came out for a little bit and ate like usual but otherwise did not leave the spot where the eggs are even to sleep. And she's got quite an attitude! Is this all just normal nesting behavior?

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think it's pretty typical behavior while they are nesting. Some birds are worse than others, but sounds like she is protecting her eggs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Peppy is so obsessed with sitting that I have to lift her out three times a day to eat and poop. She is then her normal loving self for a while before she "remembers" the eggs. I suppose this is when a mate would normally take over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sammi comes out to eat and will still get on one of her perches to say hi to me and let me touch her head but as soon as she goes by the eggs she's like a demon bird lol. She's still having large loose poops, it seems like she's saving them up or something but I've read other people's birds do this while laying eggs and nesting? She seems to be fine I'm just hoping there's not too many more eggs left!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sounds totally normal to me! Yes brooding tiels do save their poop while they are on the nest so that they don't get the nest space dirty. It's also normally loose. Murray also hisses at me across the room if I even look at her while she is nesting or pretending to nest :)

Your Sammi is eating and coming out for little breaks. It sounds to me like she's having a healthy well-adjusted time of it! I get the worry though. From the moment Murray laid her first I was so anxious and couldn't wait for it to be over. By the way, Murray laid three eggs. Let us know what Sammi's final count is!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It definitely makes me feel better to hear other people's similar experiences! Sammi just laid egg number 3 I'm hoping maybe her last lol. This one seemed easier for her than the first two. Funny thing is I put a little piece of a towel in the cage where the eggs were and she keeps moving it and just putting the eggs on the cage floor instead and then just sits next to them lol. I thought she'd appreciate the soft area but she repeatedly kept moving them so I gave up. Now the question is what can I do to hopefully prevent egg laying in the future or at least keep it to a minimum. I've seen all sorts of things on the internet but I figure people here would know first hand.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The first of Murray's eggs was very little. She happily brooded that one, but the two big uncomfortable eggs were booted out just like your Sammi's!

In answer to your question about preventing future breeding, check out this thread in the sticky library:

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

It's very useful! I find that 13 hours darkness per night calms Murray right down, and in fact I've left her on 13 hours for the foreseeable future. Travel also calms her hormones - an effect I imagine can be reproduced by rearranging the cage and environment every so often. I think that while we might not be able to prevent all hormonal surges and breeding behaviours, but we can certainly reduce them to keep our girls healthy and happy :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All 3 eggs are the same size, they seem normal but they also look like they had to have hurt coming out lol. She doesn't seem to want to sit on them at all but she sits right next to them she just doesn't want them on anything she's apparently perfectly happy with the bottom of the cage as is. It's funny because it almost seems like she's only protecting them because her hormones tell her to but she doesn't know why lol. She'll hiss at me as soon as I go near her but then let's me touch her and she's let me touch the eggs without doing anything. It's like she's thinking "I'm not supposed to let anyone touch these but I don't know why". I'm hoping the 3rd one was the last it was all very stressful for us both! I'll definitely read the sticky. I've started putting her to bed earlier because I had read that before and I also rearranged her cage a little bc there was a little bridge thing she would rub her back on while chirping and doing that little wing thing (which I read is mating behavior), so I moved that so she can't do that anymore lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I thought she was done but when I uncovered the cage this morning there was egg number 4. And now she's decided to nest and is trying her very best to sit on them all which she seems to be having a hard time doing lol I'm really hoping no more.. I want this to be over it makes me so nervous!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts