Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I updated earlier, saying that two of my cockatiel's eggs looked grey. I candled one and saw that it is fertile, but the colour of the shell just gives away that it has, unfortunately, died. The other is most likely the same, and I think a third one isn't looking too good either. It is quite upsetting, as the parents are so diligent - they are clearly very keen, despite this being their first clutch. Two eggs are still looking viable, but I didn't get the chance to candle them as the male was only off the eggs for a very short time, so I'm not sure if they're fertile.
The question is, do I remove the DIS eggs? They look very discoloured. It's such a shame.
Many thanks. :(

·
Registered
283 Posts
If not broken, and not smelly, keep them in nest until they lost interest or good eggs hatched. This is very important for first clutch. If removed too early, cockatiel may form a habitat abandon eggs before hatching day.

·
Registered
I have normal greys, whiteface, pearl pieds, creamface cinnamons, and pearls.
673 Posts
Good luck with your egg situation. We are about to have our third clutch of babies. That last time Kiwi ( male ) and Woody ( female ) had a total of 6 eggs. One broke, the second was a dud, and the last four turned out to be beautiful babies! 2 males and 2 females. So far Woody has layed 3 and we are expecting the fourth tommorow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck with your egg situation. We are about to have our third clutch of babies. That last time Kiwi ( male ) and Woody ( female ) had a total of 6 eggs. One broke, the second was a dud, and the last four turned out to be beautiful babies! 2 males and 2 females. So far Woody has layed 3 and we are expecting the fourth tommorow.
Wow! Congratulations on your successes! And good luck to Woody :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My first ever chick has hatched! Thank goodness it got out of the egg alright. The parents are sitting on it to keep it warm, and whenever it emerges, it's moving and chirping. I've even witnessed them feeding it. So cute! The only thing is, there is currently no bedding underneath the chick or the other eggs, as there parents have pushed it away. I hear that this can cause splayed legs, which is the last thing I want. Can anyone tell me how to get the bedding back under the nest box contents in the most quick and peaceful way possible? I feel like I chose the wrong material for nesting, and I want to fix it ASAP if this is the case. I'm currently using a straw base, but I want to switch it for aspen if straw isn't suitable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts