Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum and I need some help. Eddie lost his buddy and keeps whistling and singing for her. We are planning on getting a new buddy for him, but until then, is there anything I can do for him to help him get over his loss? He doesn't want to come out of his cage, but he's always been the type that only comes out when he feels like it. His buddy was the type that would climb out when I was changing feed. (she was very nosey LOL) I don't want to change his cage toys around too soon, he sometimes gets stressed when changes are made. Is it better to leave everything the same or is it better to make small changes to distract him? It's amazing to me that tiels have such memories, especially of things that they don't like. Will he continue to miss his buddy or will he get over her? They were together for over 4 years, although they never mated, but it is breaking my heart hearing him whistle for her (she used to finish his songs). Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Bea is right time is the best healer, you could also just spent a little extra time sitting and talking to him even if he doesn't want to come out just hearing your voice might distract him from being lonely, also if he is calling for her maybe you could start calling back to him or whistle along with him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't realize how many different whistles Eddie had until Skuttle was gone. We think his screech call is like barking, he seems to do it if the dogs bark. We think he is participating with them lol. I took Skuttles swing out of the cage tonight, he never used it, and he seemed happier. Gave him more room to hang upside down and to flap his wings. He came out on his own and perched on my shoulder while I redecorated his digs, we thought it might distract him a little bit so he wouldn't dwell on missing her. He doesn't like change much, but he seemed to be very curious about the redecoration. He's eating well, but he is very chatty. I hope he tones it down some soon, but I do like the new songs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.