Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Talk Cockatiels!

Have any of you ever lived with roommates, with your birds?

I am moving to the California Bay Area and getting a new job. My pay will be lower and the rent will be higher. So I'm thinking about roommates. However, in the past, I have had bad experiences with roommates not liking that my bird chirped/sang. (And now I have two birds!)

Any advice? Do you think it's possible to find roommates who would be cool with birds, and how would I find them?

Also, if anyone happens to need a roommate-plus-birds in the California Bay Area, let me know! :) I'm sure my birds would love to meet your birds!

-Conrad's Keeper

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've lived with roommates and pets, and basically here is what I suggest;

Make it clear; the birds ARE NOT LEAVING. Suggest that any perspective roommate actually spend 24 hours in the room (or at LEAST a night so they experience morning bird sounds) before signing the lease.

Also, get black out curtains for the room and a thick cage cover to artificially extend nighttime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver Sage, you're really smart! (really "sage," I guess).

I think what I did wrong last time was not making clear enough from the beginning that the bird was not leaving. So I think the roommate figured, if the bird got on her nerves, he could move out and she could stay.

I also like the idea of having them stay over for the night so they can back out if they don't like it. You're the best. Thanks!

·
Registered
377 Posts
No problem; for me it was an old dog with inconvenience issues not birds, but the general principle is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts