Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have probably seen my earlier thread on Rocky (http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=102585), but if you are curious, his introduction is there.

I have now had Rocky for nearly a week. Because he was so used to a small cage and not much to do, he was very overwhelmed being in a large cage with heaps of toys. So I took most of his toys out his cage, and started with hooking millet onto a branch. He loved that, so my next trick involved stuffing the millet into a finger trap, then putting it back onto the branch. I have also added another toy stuffed with millet, which I took a photo of before putting the millet in.

Today has been a very good day. Rocky spent a good 5-10 minutes on the finger trap, shredding it and eating the millet. He then went over to his feed, and spent 5 minutes eating happily. I have been trying to introduce him to things other than seed, so I am really excited that he liked the mix I made him. It was a dried soup mix (beans and peas) cooked, mixed with fresh bok choy, honey, stuck through a blender. I added a few seeds to get him interested. He then went over to the toy I just posted a photo of, and spent 15 minutes playing with it from every angle possible to get at the millet.

I have also spent a while encouraging him to forage, which is something he didn't seem to know how to do. So now he is at the bottom of his cage hunting down the sunflower seeds I left as a treat, and possibly playing with a foot toy I left down there. Yay!

I have posted a few more photos of Rocky below. I am so pleased with his progress. He is also getting confident enough to start whistling again. He knows a rude song about Hitler... :p

Here is Rocky enjoying a shower, which is one of his favorite activities

And here is Rocky enjoying being by the heater in the morning when I first get him out his cage..

It's also great to see that Rocky is confident enough to start using all the perches in his cage, not just the one. Now I just need to convince him not to sleep in his seed bowl most nights..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Aww, he is such a sweetie. So glad he's settling in so nicely with you all. There's always the fear they don't fit in after a move.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Shower one is definately my favorite so far :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! :) He is still settling in nicely - I have made him a new challenge today. He loves sunflower seeds, and some days I scatter a few on the bottom of his cage, which he gobbles up. So today I have stuffed them in the edges of a foot toy, so he has to work a little bit for them. Will be fun to see if he tries!

And talk about demanding! Rocky is absolutely in love with warm showers, and as soon as I take him in the bathroom he starts chirping and squawking away happily. Today I put him on the floor while I was adjusting the temperature of the shower, and he ran up to my legs and started squawking at me to hurry up! As soon as I had him near the shower he stuck his head under the full pressure of the shower (which isn't much, we have a water saving shower head) and let the water go all over him for 30 seconds. Then of course he spent a while trying to drink it all, and sneezing! Silly bird, but he loves it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, he is getting more and more obsessed. All I need to do is go near the bathroom with him and he starts carrying on!

Rocky has now also developed a huge crush on my mum! He whistles occasionally for everyone, but whistles all the time for mum, and does his heart wings for her every time he sees her. Mum was amazed when I told her what it means! Still, she loves him too, so we have a cute little relationship forming at the moment.

I have also bought Rocky a new cage. It is around the same size as the current one, but rust free. It also has bars at the top, so it will be a lot easier to attach perches and toys. I will set it up as soon as I can get rid of the current cage. I am going to advertise it as a giveaway, but state clearly that there is some rust that needs to be dealt with. I'll share some photos as soon as I can.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright photos galore coming right up! I have also "given" Rocky to mum, because they are so in love with each other. I still do all the work for him, but he is her bird. :p When I do move out of home (after I have finished uni!) I will probably leave him with her.

Rocky is becoming such a flirt with mum. She gets all his best whistles, his kissing noises, and his car alarm mating call. It's very cute! Fortunately he still loves my partner and I as well, we just don't get whistled or kissed at.

The new cage:

Getting used to the new cage:

Who says I am a messy eater?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nice cage and set up, I bet he's loving it so far

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks, he certainly is loving it. At the moment we are experiencing some beautiful spring days, so I am wheeling his cage up to the window so he can enjoy some sun during the day, and just putting the cage back in it's corner at night. He really enjoys sitting on his perch of the day and looking out the front window. He has learnt what mum's car looks like, so as soon as she pulls in the drive he is squawking at her before she can even get out the car.

Right now mum is fast asleep on the couch with Rocky fluffed up on top of her.

We did have a bit of a shock the other day though. We had Rocky out, and he decided to attempt to fly. Turns out the dog was in the room, fast asleep on the bean bag. Mitzi has been very jealous of Rocky, and has only just decided to acknowledge his existence at all in the last week by looking at him when he is in his cage. But anyway, Rocky came with a very clipped wing, so the flying and landing skills aren't really there. He crash landed straight on top of Mitzi, who twitched slightly, and then slowly looked to see what was on her hip. As soon as she saw it was that horrible mean thing she is so jealous of, she shot off the bean bag like a firework was underneath her! At the same time I picked up Rocky, so he was fine. He had that happy look on his face that he has when he is causing a little drama and having fun! I put him back in his cage, and then gave Mitzi a big cuddle because she behaved very well considering how jealous she is of him. Not an experience I plan to allow again, but I am glad it turned out the way it did. And honestly, Mitzi's face when she saw Rocky on her was priceless!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts