Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for Rocko to have a little Australian tiel in him I dont know why I think this but its just the way he looks compared to casper.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well yes of course, all cockatiels are originally from Australia. Like his great great great great great great great (etc) grandparents would have been Aussie.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yes of course, all cockatiels are originally from Australia. Like his great great great great great great great (etc) grandparents would have been Aussie.
I meant his parent of course would they have been a normal grey or Rocko's Grandparents bred with a normal grey.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well then yes, very possible one of his parents or grandparents were normal greys :)
Is there any way to tell do you think he looks half normal grey.He does have black nails on one foot but I was told thats because hes pied.

·
Registered
648 Posts
There's not really any way of knowing for sure to be honest.
He's cinnamon and pearl right? Both of those mutations are sex-linked recessive mutations. So that means his mum was cinnamon and pearl, if I'm getting my genetics right.
His dad would also have been Cinnamon and pearl (split or visual). He might not have looked cinnamon or pearl at all but might still have carried the mutations, yes?
This only applies if rocko is a boy though. If he's a girl then that changes things.

If you can find out if Loki and rocko have the same parents then you'll be able to figure out more about what their parents genetics were like. Does the pet shop know what breeder they came from? You might be able to ask them to call up the breeder and see what their parents mutations were.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's not really any way of knowing for sure to be honest.
He's cinnamon and pearl right? Both of those mutations are sex-linked recessive mutations. So that means his mum was cinnamon and pearl, if I'm getting my genetics right.
So his mum wouldn't have been a normal grey.. but it's possible his dad was. We can't know for sure though, he could have been anything to be honest but we have no reason to think he WASNT normal grey.
This only applies if rocko is a boy though. If he's a girl then that changes things.

If you can find out if Loki and rocko have the same parents then you'll be able to figure out more about what their parents genetics were like. Does the pet shop know what breeder they came from? You might be able to ask them to call up the breeder and see what their parents mutations were.
Rocko is pearl pied and Loki is Cinnamon pearl.The breeder works in the pet shop.If Rocko was a girl what changed would there be.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Oh not cinnamon? Sorry, thought he was.
Hmm pearl pied.. Pied could have come from either parent, or both.

Pearl is different

If rocko is a boy, then he got the pearls from both parents. The mum would have had to be a visual pearl because females can't be split to pearl. The dad might have been visual or split. The dad may or may not have looked normal grey.

If rocko is a girl, he got the pearls from his dad (visual or split). His mum may or may not have looked normal grey.

If both parents were pearl, ALL the babies would have been pearls regardless of sex. That's why if you find out that Loki and rocko are related, and that ones a boy and ones a girl, you know both parents were pearl (or at least that the mum was pearl and the dad was split to pearl)

Hope that made sense, it's a bit of a confusing thing to explain because it's pretty complicated.

·
Registered
648 Posts
sorry I got a bit confused a long the way there. I made some edits to my last 2 posts so please read them again, what I said originally was wrong!
Hopefully someone can come along and double check my claims. I haven't done genetics in a long while

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Normal grey is found all over the world now. It's the most common mutation so its a very huge possibility that one of his parents was a normal grey. Birds are not split to normal grey or half normal grey, bird genetics don't work that way. If a boy, he got the pearl genes from both parents. If a girl, he got the pearl genes from just dad. Only males can be split to pearl (and most normal greys are split to something. It's almost impossible to find one that's not.)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Normal grey is found all over the world now. It's the most common mutation so its a very huge possibility that one of his parents was a normal grey. Birds are not split to normal grey or half normal grey, bird genetics don't work that way. If a boy, he got the pearl genes from both parents. If a girl, he got the pearl genes from just dad. Only males can be split to pearl (and most normal greys are split to something. It's almost impossible to find one that's not.)
Ah good, i thought I got it right but I'm never too confident with these things. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm actually having huge problems finding a normal grey female. I've been looking for months and months. Any normal greys are either males or "sex unknown" (still usually males in the end for some reason!) I know they're supposed to be common since they're the 'original' cockatiel, and I know they must be plenty of normal grey females out there, but I think a lot of people are breeding specifically for different mutations now. I've spoken to multiple breeders who never have any normal grey babies because they deliberately make it that way! Ridiculous! Anyway this was off topic a bit haha sorry.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Normal grey is found all over the world now. It's the most common mutation
Is normal grey a "mutation"? I thought it was what cockatiels originally were so to speak. Mine is mostly normal grey, but because his mother is a WF, he has some white on his head.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is normal grey a "mutation"? I thought it was what cockatiels originally were so to speak. Mine is mostly normal grey, but because his mother is a WF, he has some white on his head.
Yes what we call normal grey is their natural colour in the wild. There are so many mutations now that their original striking colours are being lost

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That's actually a really good questions, because it's technically not a mutation since it's the original color but because there's really nothing else to call it, it is considered a mutation.

I'm actually having huge problems finding a normal grey female. I've been looking for months and months. Any normal greys are either males or "sex unknown" (still usually males in the end for some reason!) I know they're supposed to be common since they're the 'original' cockatiel, and I know they must be plenty of normal grey females out there, but I think a lot of people are breeding specifically for different mutations now. I've spoken to multiple breeders who never have any normal grey babies because they deliberately make it that way! Ridiculous! Anyway this was off topic a bit haha sorry.
Because of how easy it is to get a female that's not a normal grey (i.e. dad is a visual and boom, all daughters are visual if a sex-linked mutation) this is very difficult to do. You'd almost have to breed for them yourself, i.e. take a male normal grey and breed him to a female of whatever mutation you want, all daughters would be normal grey or whatever dad is split to. And this is the funny part: the rarest cockatiel is a normal grey with NO splits.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts