Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i think im gonna bring Rocko to the petshop later in his harness to get his nails filed they are like razors also Rocko is bearly pooping and his pellets are left untouched he will only eat seeds and i didnt give him any seeds yesterday because i thought he would eat pellets then and he has been eating pellets since i first got him so i dont know why the sudden change and he looks completely healthy clear eyes clear nose and nice bright feathers and he acts normal and is very active when he wants to be and gets up to mischief lol

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Brandon, you need to give him the seeds back as birds will starve themselves to death rather than eat what they don't like. Just make sure he has both pellets and seeds.
Good luck with the nail filing.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The barely pooping is a sign of starvation then. I agree with eduardo, he'll probably need some of his seeds back in his dish now. Maybe he just didn't feel like eating pellets that day? 'Tiels like a wide variety of foods, so he may have decided he wanted more seeds that day. Maybe try to switch it up with some veggies he likes and see if that helps with his appetite. I would just give him some more seeds now because he might be bored of pellets for the moment. :)

I guess another thing I can think of is that... pellets are a bit like vitamins and too many can be bad over time just like too many seeds can. "Most pellets contain chemicals such as artificial coloring / flavoring / preservatives, etc . Parrots may be able to tolerate these for a year or two, but once these chemicals build up in the "system" to a certain degree, symptoms such as feather plucking, aggression and, in some species, toe tapping and wing flipping, aggression may appear." I don't know when those signs start showing up, but maybe he's starting to feel those symptoms and stopped eating them. http://beautyofbirds.com/birdnutrition.html

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brandon, you need to give him the seeds back as birds will starve themselves to death rather than eat what they don't like. Just make sure he has both pellets and seeds.
Good luck with the nail filing.
Lol i never said i took the seeds out he has both do u know why hes not eating his pellets

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The barely pooping is a sign of starvation then. I agree with eduardo, he'll probably need some of his seeds back in his dish now. Maybe he just didn't feel like eating pellets that day? 'Tiels like a wide variety of foods, so he may have decided he wanted more seeds that day. Maybe try to switch it up with some veggies he likes and see if that helps with his appetite. I would just give him some more seeds now because he might be bored of pellets for the moment. :)

I guess another thing I can think of is that... pellets are a bit like vitamins and too many can be bad over time just like too many seeds can. "Most pellets contain chemicals such as artificial coloring / flavoring / preservatives, etc . Parrots may be able to tolerate these for a year or two, but once these chemicals build up in the "system" to a certain degree, symptoms such as feather plucking, aggression and, in some species, toe tapping and wing flipping, aggression may appear." I don't know when those signs start showing up, but maybe he's starting to feel those symptoms and stopped eating them. http://beautyofbirds.com/birdnutrition.html
He has both seeds and pellets in his cage and he dosent have the coloured pellets he has natural pellets it has no flavoring or any other stuff all just natural ingredients and is it normal for tiels to have a big stomach or could he be getting too much millet

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Try to make it more interesting. Try sprinkling the pellets on the cage floor. If the floor has grate on the bottom, you can put paper towels on the bottom of the cage or take out the grate temporarily for foraging time.

You can also switch the location of your pellet bowl. Maybe even give his whole cage a re-makeover. Buy somenew toys or simply make your own homemade toys from parts you might already have at home.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try to make it more interesting. Try sprinkling the pellets on the cage floor. If the floor has grate on the bottom, you can put paper towels on the bottom of the cage or take out the grate temporarily for foraging time.

You can also switch the location of your pellet bowl. Maybe even give his whole cage a re-makeover. Buy somenew toys or simply make your own homemade toys from parts you might already have at home.
Great idea im gonna try that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts