Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the day I went to get Loki's Harness my sister and her friend entered a colouring competition to win €25 to spend in the store and they had to bring them back today and tommorow the winner will be announced.We also looked at everybody elses pictures ours has to be the winner lol.While we were in the petstore we found a weighing scale that weighs in Kg it was for dogs and cats and we put the birds on lol then one of the workers came over and said are u trying to weigh them and I said yes and he brought us over to a small weighing scale and he weighed Loki and Rocko and they both Weighed 94 grams.Is it normal for both birds that live together to weigh the same? I was also looking to get my own scale but I couldnt find any cheap ones guess im gonna have to order one then.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use this at home to weight Luma on a daily basis,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Desi...F8&qid=1436643871&sr=8-5&keywords=weigh+scale

It can weight in pounds and grams, all I have to do is coax her onto it with some millet/lettuce and as long she stands on it for a few seconds I can get an accurate reading. :)
Rocko and Loki would just stand without any treats.That scale u have is the one I found in a shop but it was way more expensive maybe ill get this one on Amazon.

·
Registered
334 Posts
To answer your q about weighing, I just weigh Maxi on a regular kitchen scale (electronic). She also weighed 94g last time I weighed her, nice standard weight !

Good luck with the competition !

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer your q about weighing, I just weigh Maxi on a regular kitchen scale (electronic). She also weighed 94g last time I weighed her, nice standard weight !

Good luck with the competition !
94 g does seem to be a weight most cockatiels have lol would Rockos and Lokis be the same because they eat the same food.Its weird they weigh the same considering Loki is much smaller than Rocko.

·
Registered
648 Posts
No, birds weight do not become the same from living together or eating the same, usually. The size of the bird is genetic, which contributes to its weight. Of course fat and muscle also contribute but most likely rocko and Loki are just about the same sized birds. They are around around average sized. It's just a coincidence they happen to weigh the exact same amount. One of mine weighs 83 and the other 99.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, birds weight do not become the same from living together or eating the same, usually. The size of the bird is genetic, which contributes to its weight. Of course fat and muscle also contribute but most likely rocko and Loki are just about the same sized birds. They are around around average sized. It's just a coincidence they happen to weigh the exact same amount. One of mine weighs 83 and the other 99.
I dont get it.I mean if Rocko happened to get fat he would weigh more than Loki right.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes but you said they eat the same so they probably have around the same amount of fat on them, unless ones piggin out or ones eating too little. The reason that they end up weighing the same is probably because they're pretty much the same sized build naturally. It's like if you had a super tall person and a super short person and fed them the same and got them to do the same amount of exercise they would end up still weighing different amounts because their bodies are just genetically bigger or smaller. With rocko and Loki, their bodies are probably about the same size/build. They're like two average height people eating and exercising the same who end up the same weight. However, It's a coincidence that they are both the same build and it's a coincidence that they ended up weighing the EXACT same amount. Does that make sense?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes but you said they eat the same so they probably have around the same amount of fat on them, unless ones piggin out or ones eating too little. The reason that they end up weighing the same is probably because they're pretty much the same sized build naturally. It's like if you had a super tall person and a super short person and fed them the same and got them to do the same amount of exercise they would end up still weighing different amounts because their bodies are just genetically bigger or smaller. With rocko and Loki, their bodies are probably about the same size/build. They're like two average height people eating and exercising the same who end up the same weight. However, It's a coincidence that they are both the same build and it's a coincidence that they ended up weighing the EXACT same amount. Does that make sense?
Now I get it that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My bird was 76 grams last year and is now 77 grams. He is relatively small and is not underweight. He is also very active, so he keeps fit. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts