Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our time with him was so short and he died in an unforeseen tragedy.. i wish i could've done more for him.

he had just pulled through the illness....

i had checked the room for our cats to make sure they were out. then i removed him from the cage to trim his wings to start the taming process....

i got one wing done and he squirmed out of my hand and flew... our 4 month old kitten came running out from under the couch and clawed him out of the air.... it happened so fast and i feel terrible. i didnt even see her under the couch...

he lived as the kitten just sniffed him after and walked away. she thought he was a toy and was only playing a game i never want to see again. i cant blame the cat, she was just doing what cats do. i should've been more thorough in my check..

we brought toby to the vets yesterday morning and had him checked. the claw wound pierced almost right through and there was nothing they could've done to heal it as it was too wide and too deep. we gave him one last flight with the other birds and he was happy....

we had him humanely euthanized yesterday morning.

the wound was hidden under his feathers on his flank. you can see he is slightly holding his right leg funny. thats where he was wounded.

R.I.P. Toby.

Here's the final happy moments he had before we brought him to the vets.

the casket we painted for him that we're going to bury him in spring...
we put a feather from each of the other birds in it as he loved them, especially dally. we put his favourite toy and mirror and a sprig of spray millet and a rose in it.

here's more photos from the day before the accident, we had him out with the tiels only.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
R.I.P Toby...you loved him very much. Accidents happen and not everything can be anticipated you know?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i still feel terrible. i wish i could go back and stop it from happening.

for toby, one day i want to open up a budgie rescue. just budgies as theyre the birds that suffer most in my area as people dont see how precious and amazing they are. it will be a very long time before i ever own a budgie again though. his death hit us hard. he should've had much longer with us.

but we didnt want him to suffer. we wouldnt be able to bear that so we made the choice. we had to do it. i hate choosing when something dies, it doesnt feel right, but when he was doomed to die anyways, a slow painful death from infection, i'd rather it be quick with his last day happy with those he loved than weeks of suffering

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we still cant believe it all happened. sad thing is, he lived 3 days like that as the avian vet wasnt available til yesterday. birds usually die within 24 hours of cat inflicted wounds. he didnt. we expected him to. he survived the illness, a lot of birds dont. he was our fighter but this was a fight he wouldn't have won. somehow the cats claw missed major organs and veins so he didnt even bleed much. it just would've gotten infected and would've been a slow and agonizing death.

but its unfair. we did everything to keep him alive. he got sick, we got him treatment and every day i hand fed him his meds. he pulled through. not even a day after his last meds, this happens. we kept it clean ourselves, cleaning it daily and removing any down and feathers that found their way into the wound, we made sure he was warm and as comfortable as possible but we couldnt watch the limping and struggling anymore. so we gave him one last moment out with the others for as long as he could handle then we brought him to the vets...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Toby.
Personally I think you were very brave to make the decision before Toby started to suffer from the injury. It would have been an easier decision to wait until his pain was obvious, but as you said, an injury from a cat can only end one way.
The very best bird owners still have accidents. You checked the room, you tried. It's not like you didn't bother. It was just an accident.
Very best wishes xxx

·
Registered
146 Posts
Poor Toby:( That is so sad but accidents do happen

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was an accident but i wish i could've stopped it. i couldnt even move. i froze when i saw it.... the kitten thought he was a toy, if she were hunting she would've bit him. she thought he was a toy. you cant live in a multi species home and never expect these things to happen, no matter how careful you are... but i still feel terrible. i cant expect a kitten not to chase something small, bright and fast.... you cant change a cat's nature. we respect that and understand the risks of living in a multi species home. i am foolish like other owners that didnt expect it to happen to them.

we learned from it though. the birds are now all in our bedroom with the playgyms. birds get limited time out and even if we open the cages the cats are kicked out. i understand the cat didnt MEAN to hurt him (she could've though) and was just playing as shes a kitten but im not risking any more lapse of attention for any of the cats or the birds. the cats are not even allowed to LOOK into the cages close up without a squirt of water. they can look only from a distance so long as the birds are in the cages. but i wont let this happen again. toby was meant to be with us longer but that didnt happen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im very sorry this happened :(.. But it really wasnt your fault no matter how bad you feel.. It just ment it was his time to go.. He had a great life and was loved by his family(humans and birds) he got to live a life many poor birds dont get to live.. being loved and got lots of attention and was spoiled. RIP toby you will be very missed :(

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
That's very sad, it must have broken your heart to make that decision - poor little guy. He did look like he was enjoying his last day though... those photos were very touching and it must very hard on you since you just put yourselves and Toby through his meds. RIP.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I completley sympathize. I have cats, dogs, birds and small animals ( guinea pigs and gerbils). Sometimes, things, like what happened to Toby, are such freak things. How could you have ever seen that coming; you couldnt have. The thing that makes you a great person is that you realized hes in pain and you did what ended his pain. You were real and did what you could.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everyone for the support, its really helping us right now. his death hit us hard..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts