Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Skittles just over a year ago, we adopted her from the SSPCA - she was found in someones back garden being attacked by Crows, she was very badly hurt and wasn't expected to make it through the night.
They treated her and although she was still looking rough she was well enough for us to adopt.
We had to take her to the vets a couple of times with issues relating to her scabs but she was a tough little thing.

Tuesday morning while I was away with work my girlfriend sent me message saying when we came down in the morning Skittles was at the bottom of her cage hissing at her, she sent me a couple of photos and we agreed it didn't look right at all, it took about 30mins calling round a couple of vets and the one that treated her before said she could come right in, she was taken straight up and put into an oxygen tank as the vets said she was having issues breathing, the local vets said it was serious though and they weren't equipped for it so they would try to get her stable to move her to a university vet, they asked permission to examine her closely (risk of handling could kill her) but we agreed as doing nothing and not giving her a chance seemed pointless, just before the exam she perked up a little so the vets called the university to see what exam to perform, when they went back into the room she had passed away.

We have no idea how old she was but she didn't have an easy one sadly.
Our other Cockatiel Lola seems a little confused at the moment, she lived alone with us for just under 3 years when we got Skittles so for just over a year she's had company when we've not been in the house, I've take a few days off work to monitor Lola though incase she starts showing signs of anything - over two days now and she's normal so fingers crossed.

We've been trying to think if anything we done has caused this but we don't cook with the doors open, don't spray anything in the room or use air freshners at all as we know the risks we're at a loss to why it happened but it did.

This is the photo ad the SSPCA put up for her just over a year ago: http://i65.tinypic.com/ea5vg6.png

and this was her (on the left) with Lola on the right a couple of months ago: http://i67.tinypic.com/33f7v53.jpg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Skittles

I am so sorry to hear about Skittles! You gave her a good year of life, though. Do you think her passing could have been related to the crow attack? I know it was over a year ago, but maybe there was something that just caught up with her. It sounds like you have been very good owners; I doubt it was anything you did. It is so hard to lose them! Fly free, Skittles; and peace to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Janalee thank you for taking the time to reply, I think we gave her the best life (for the year) as we could so I agree I don't think it was anything we done or didn't do, but I've still been going over everything we done with or near her for her last couple of days, I still can't think of anything so I'm finding comfort in that.
With regards to the crow attack, it's possible I suppose that something from that might have been a cause, her head was badly hurt, before we got her the vets at the SSPCA spent a month treating her however we did need to do a couple of follow up checks and treatments after we adopted her, nothing lately though. she must have been really strong to survive that to start with but something must have gave on Tuesday morning.

The local vets did say she was obviously well cared for and they checked over the cage as well, they found nothing that might have been the cause and even said her poo on the bottom on the cage looked normal, it was just really so sudden.

I'm honestly surprised how hard it's hit me as well, I'm a 34 year old guy and I didn't think it would impact me as much as it has.

I'm not sure why I couldn't get her photos to appear on the post so I've put links as well to the photos of her, I hadn't looked at her adoption photo (the first one) for ages so forgot how different she was when we got her.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of dear Skittles :frown: You took such great care of her and the difference in the photos is outstanding, your love and care for her really shows. Please don't blame yourself for her passing, it sounds like it was out of your control and you did everything you could for Skittles. She was a gorgeous girl and thank you so much for rescuing her in the first place, I doubt she would've found another home as loving as yours.

Rest in peace Skittles. Sending lots of love and scritches to you and Lola from my flock and I.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Vickitiel, I've come around to knowing there was nothing we could have done differently, just the shock of how fast it all was makes you overthink as Skittles depended on us for her care and it makes you feel like you should have been able to do something to stop it.
I took a few days off work to monitor our other Cockatiel Lola to make sure she's healthy - it's been 5 days now so I assume if it was anything environmental or viral she would have shown some sign by now.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm glad Lola is okay. Sometimes they don't show any signs though so if you are really concerned it might've been something contagious you could get Lola a check up at the vet's, but I don't think it sounds that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know they hide illness really well, I think that's how we were so shocked with Skittles, they didn't share a cage and it's been a week since her passing so I think that if it was something like that Lola would have shown a sign by now or worse - we are keeping a very close eye on her just to be 100% though.
If she's fine at the moment I wouldn't want to put her through an exam incase that causes an issue as she gets stressed at vet visits, but on saying that if she showed any sign what so ever she will be going directly there without delay.

At the moment I feel bad for Lola being alone during the day now while we're at work, she's been alone before like that but for the past year she's always had Skittles in the room for company, first day fully alone today and she got out as soon as we got back into the house after work and got plenty scratches followed up by garden peas and sweetcorn for dinner so hopfully thats enough for her at the moment.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm very sorry about your loss of Skittles. She must have had a terrible time in the wild when the crows got to her but she returned to her naturally beautiful self under your care. You did the best anyone could do with getting attention for her in the end - there just was something going on that got to her extremely fast. Sorry again :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts