Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been over a year since I was on this site, but figured I'd post here since I've gotten a lot of invaluable help with different things and I'm so grateful to so many people on here. Anyway, my first cockatiel, Obi, passed away tonight at 7 1/2 years old. I posted about him a lot on here when I first got him 5 1/2 years ago, and it still feels unreal that he's gone. I'd had a couple birds before him, but he was the first that really sparked my love for birds, even if he spent almost the whole time I had him acting like he hated everyone and everything 馃槀. He'd actually all of a sudden decided that he liked being held and didn't bite anymore this week. I was shocked by such a sudden change, but maybe it was a sign I should've paid more attention to. He'd seemed a little under the weather, but nothing too bad, until this afternoon when my mom found him on the bottom of his cage, barely breathing.
I wasn't at home at the time, but he held on until I got home this evening, where he passed away in my hands, watching his favorite YouTube video.
Goodbye Obi, and thank you for the incredible years you gave me, especially this last week, even if you should've been with us for far longer than you got. You'll always be my most special boy and I'll never forget you.

Registered
So sorry for your loss of Obi. Letting you hold him without biting is not an obvious sign of a medical problem, so don't take it as that. Some birds are just not as long-lived as others no matter what you do. My first tiel Buzz had health problems and only lived 7 years too, and it was not due to lack of care or medical attention.

Obi trusted you the most as the one who loved him and he loved back who would never hurt him, and just let you hold him closer near the end.

Again, sorry for your loss of little Obi 馃挃

Registered
And all cockatiels feel under the weather sometimes like the rest of us. That is normal, especially if they are about to molt - molting takes a lot of energy from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts