Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rio pulled Rocko's tail today so I put him in his cage for a timeout and I just left him in there it was nearly 6:00 pm which is his bed time so he gets longer hours of darkness I dont think its hormonal though if he never attacks Loki its always Rocko and now im back in school tomorrow so Rio is hardly ever gonna get out of cage time without him hurting Rocko because I usually bring Rio downstairs with me while the tiels are out but I like being with the tiels too.Im gonna see how he is with his new sleep schedule for the week and if hes still bad I think im gonna have to find him a new home preferably a home with other lovebirds where he will be cared for and loved.Im really trying to stop him attacking.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It takes about two weeks for birds' hormones to adjust to new sleep schedules.

Lovebirds don't always like to live with other birds, so I would consider any home that would be a good place for him regardless of them having other birds or not.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It takes about two weeks for birds' hormones to adjust to new sleep schedules.

Lovebirds don't always like to live with other birds, so I would consider any home that would be a good place for him regardless of them having other birds or not.
Oh ok what about him getting sexually frustrated.How exactly do u know if its hormones.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Generally, birds that begin to act out when they are reaching sexual maturity (8-12 months in both cockatiels and lovebirds) or if their "bad" behavior occurs seasonally are said to be hormonal. There isn't really any 100% way to determine if a birds behavior is related to hormones, but observing when the behaviors occur and if they "grow out of it" would be the best way.

That said, I know you are well aware that love birds (despite their name) can be aggressive birds in general and it isn't likely for Rio's behavior to be related to hormones, or at least that isn't the only contributor. The fact is that Rio is likely to continue to bully Rocko even during non-hormonal seasons. If you are unable to keep Rocko safe by having separate out-of-cage times, covering the top of Rio's cage when Rocko and Loki are out, and/or moving Rio's cage to a different room than Rocko and Loki...then finding him a suitable home may be the best for your situation.

I am strongly in favor of having multiple birds of the same species, and not so supportive of inter-species mingling or cohabiting due to all the evident and real dangers.

Yes, I do have a Green Cheek Conure that shares a room with my cockatiels but they are not caged together and there are dozens of perches in the room for them to go to when they need to get away from the GCC. All my birds are kept flighted so they can fly away from each other when they begin to bicker and need to get away from the other bird. It is a very very fragile balance to keep her in the room with them. Her cage has a playtop that covers the entire top so no birdie toes will be bitten, and she wasn't allowed direct interaction with the flock for the first 6 months that we got her due to her aggressive tendencies. She now can be out with the cockatiels while supervised and has a strong flock bond with them.

I will also say that I didn't go out seeking to add a GCC to my flock. A dear friend of mine was battling cancer and asked me to take two of her cockatiels and her GCC in the event of her death. I agreed to give it a try and if it didn't work out her husband would take her back. I would not actively look to bring home a non-cockatiel bird, especially of an aggressive species.

In other news, my two newest cockatiel additions will be finishing quarantine relatively soon and it will be a very delicate procedure to add them to the flock since the GCC is in the same room. One of them is a very gentle petite young female who will take some time to get her bearings and learn to defend herself. The other is an older (~10 yrs) male who is completely blind. He will have his own cage because it would be difficult for him to navigate the large aviary, and I'm concerned about him interacting with the GCC during out-of-cage time because he won't see her coming. Due to his condition, his immediate reaction to anything touching him is to bite and that will either be a great trait or a terrible one for him to have but we'll see. I expect him to spend most of his time on the floor or on one of our wood playstands that can be scaled from the floor, which would be best because the GCC doesn't frequent either.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Also, I'm not sure why you are worried about him becoming sexually frustrated. Birds, like people, do not need a mate to enjoy themselves. If Rio is "horny" then he will take care of that himself. Birds are good at utilizing objects in their environment to pleasure themselves and I wouldn't worry a bit about Rio becoming frustrated.

Out of all my 12 birds, only one of them (that I know of) has ever attempted to masturbate. A couple of my birds have tried to mount other flock members. I'm told that males generally masturbate more than females but I have 9 males and 3 females and it just isn't a common occurrence here. My male that does try to masturbate only does so on human feet or hands. I have a friend who has two females and a male, and I believe they all masturbate.

Point is: Rio doesn't need other birds to avoid sexual frustration.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told on the parrot forum that he may be sexually frustrated and may need a mate the problem is I can't keep him in a separate room and the tiels are out of their cage all day and so is he but gets locked up when he acts up and it's hard to keep 3 species separate.I also noticed his beak has dried blood in the crack I'm assuming it was Tiko when Rio flew on her cage but I was watching while I tried to get him off and prevent myself being bitten.And I would be afraid it would be hard to find the right home for him because of his cracked beak

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
If his beak is bleeding then it is probably painful and should be checked by a vet.

I hope that the longer nights help with his aggression, but I also wouldn't assume that he's sexually frustrated if he hasn't been trying to masturbate or otherwise acting explicitly hormonal. The aggression issues you're describing sound very much like natural lovebird behavior and not like overactive hormones.

I hope you aren't considering another lovebird. It's never a good idea to get another bird just for one of your birds. That causes problems rather than solving them. If it's tough to supervise one lovebird in your flock, a second will double the issues.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If his beak is bleeding then it is probably painful and should be checked by a vet.

I hope that the longer nights help with his aggression, but I also wouldn't assume that he's sexually frustrated if he hasn't been trying to masturbate or otherwise acting explicitly hormonal. The aggression issues you're describing sound very much like natural lovebird behavior and not like overactive hormones.

I hope you aren't considering another lovebird. It's never a good idea to get another bird just for one of your birds. That causes problems rather than solving them. If it's tough to supervise one lovebird in your flock, a second will double the issues.
Oh no way would I be getting another one is bad enough seriously I didnt think this would happen.Its dry blood if it was Tiko it happened 3 days ago his vet did say if anythings happens bring him straight back.Do u think I should just get his beak repaired the vet said it would be painful.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't think that's a question I can answer, but I do think you should take him back to the vet and get the bleeding checked out. You could ask about pros/cons of the beak repair at that appointment. :)

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with lovebirds, but the internet says that female lovebirds are more aggressive than males. Mostly because they're very territorial.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with lovebirds, but the internet says that female lovebirds are more aggressive than males. Mostly because they're very territorial.
My personal experience (12+ years of owning lovebirds, who now live with my parents) is consistent with that, although obviously every bird is an individual.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I have a friend with two lovebirds and the female is so aggressive she's not allowed out with any other birds. She gets her own out of cage time. She can't even be caged with her brother because she's so aggressive and she was the hand raised one.

The male on the other hand can be a bully and hates coming out of his cage. He'd rather stay in than come out, he has a blue ball he's absolutely in love with. Mixing multiple species is a huge gamble and some times you have to be prepared for the fact that they aren't all going to get along and need to be separated at all times.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm fostering a Lovebird that is hugely aggressive. Tries to bite me whenever I walk by the cage and servicing her food bowls is a challenge. I switched her to a water bottle as that cuts her hand interactions down to a minimum. Would I trust her with my other birds? Heeeccckkk NO. I wouldn't trust her with another lovebird! She's just that crazy!

So yeah...I would say it depends on other birds' personalities. Someone in my parrot club has the sweetest lovebird who goes to person to person. Never bites. You could probably have him out at playtime with other birds. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't have personal experience with lovebirds either, but I can see how one would fall in love with one. Cute little delightful faces, with the name 'love'bird ... How ironic that they tend to be mean! The lovebirds I have met in pet stores, although beautiful, have all been quite skittish. My mum used to want a pair of lovebirds and I'm kinda glad that it never eventuated.

I hate to say it, but if it were me in your situation and with your circumstances I would consider rehoming Rio. I'm sure you've heard the horror stories about lovebirds breaking cockatiels' legs and feet. You could give it a bit longer to see if things improve, but if he doesn't calm down and you don't want to keep them separated, it just wouldn't be fair on Rocko and potentially Rocko or Loki could get very hurt. Rio's behaviour honestly sounds like normal lovebird behaviour, unfortunately. Perhaps there's someone in your area who owns lovebirds that you can talk to?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have personal experience with lovebirds either, but I can see how one would fall in love with one. Cute little delightful faces, with the name 'love'bird ... How ironic that they tend to be mean! The lovebirds I have met in pet stores, although beautiful, have all been quite skittish. My mum used to want a pair of lovebirds and I'm kinda glad that it never eventuated.

I hate to say it, but if it were me in your situation and with your circumstances I would consider rehoming Rio. I'm sure you've heard the horror stories about lovebirds breaking cockatiels' legs and feet. You could give it a bit longer to see if things improve, but if he doesn't calm down and you don't want to keep them separated, it just wouldn't be fair on Rocko and potentially Rocko or Loki could get very hurt. Rio's behaviour honestly sounds like normal lovebird behaviour, unfortunately. Perhaps there's someone in your area who owns lovebirds that you can talk to?
I wish he would treat Rocko the same way he does Loki he only picks on Rocko and he loves to be with Wasabi the parrotlet and he never touches Loki but even when hes near Rocko then Rocko's crest goes up and he hisses sometimes when Rio isnt doing anything and hes ok with people not aggressive at all well maybe a little when hes on your shoulder.Now about rehoming him I want to give him a fair trial before deciding to just rehome him and because of his cracked beak I think he would be sold and sold to many different people who dont want him anymore and possibly even damage his beak more.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I wish he would treat Rocko the same way he does Loki he only picks on Rocko and he loves to be with Wasabi the parrotlet and he never touches Loki but even when hes near Rocko then Rocko's crest goes up and he hisses sometimes when Rio isnt doing anything and hes ok with people not aggressive at all well maybe a little when hes on your shoulder.Now about rehoming him I want to give him a fair trial before deciding to just rehome him and because of his cracked beak I think he would be sold and sold to many different people who dont want him anymore and possibly even damage his beak more.
I do not believe he will be sold on and on because of his beak, many people love the underdog, the handicapped and damaged pets... Thy will know before hand that he has a damaged beak and I think most people who will take him anyhow will love him more because of it. I was going to buy my hubby a budgie at the petstore because she only had one eye, there were so many people lined up to buy this little lady that she sold before I got there for her. Rocks gets defensive before Rio does anything because he knows what Rio is like and is scared of him and stressed by him. If Rio in now aggressive towards you I think you should think of looking for a home with an experienced owner who knows lovebirds and their ways. Preferably a home with no other birds.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do not believe he will be sold on and on because of his beak, many people love the underdog, the handicapped and damaged pets... Thy will know before hand that he has a damaged beak and I think most people who will take him anyhow will love him more because of it. I was going to buy my hubby a budgie at the petstore because she only had one eye, there were so many people lined up to buy this little lady that she sold before I got there for her. Rocks gets defensive before Rio does anything because he knows what Rio is like and is scared of him and stressed by him. If Rio in now aggressive towards you I think you should think of looking for a home with an experienced owner who knows lovebirds and their ways. Preferably a home with no other birds.
I agree but it would be hard letting him go I mean I love him and so does other family members and im sure Wasabi will miss him but I cant have my Favourite little Rocko getting hurt.If I dont see improvement hes gonna have to go.If I did rehome him I would want another bird to fill his place possibly another cockatiel maybe a rescue if I can find any.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I agree but it would be hard letting him go I mean I love him and so does other family members and im sure Wasabi will miss him but I cant have my Favourite little Rocko getting hurt.If I dont see improvement hes gonna have to go.If I did rehome him I would want another bird to fill his place possibly another cockatiel maybe a rescue if I can find any.
I think for now it might be good to stick with what you have. Rocko is already stressed out by Rio, as shown by his actions. Adding another bird after you find Rio a home would only be more stressful. I think giving Rocko some time to just enjoy you and Loki might be a good idea. Besides that, three "can" be a crowd with tiels, because of the odd number. Not normally, but sometimes it can. I had three males and one female and this turned my sweetest boy into a nightmare because he was so jealous (the hen bonded to another male instead of him.)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
That's a great point, Roxy. My three aren't really integrated either. My girls are bonded and will pick on my boy, who wants nothing to do with them (but would like to steal their millet if he could do it without getting caught.) If what you want is to have everyone live together peacefully, then it's best to stick with what you know works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts