Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have been absent for a while, so hi. And second, Sno-cone laid another egg. It started with a big, fun, cardboard box. I took a cardboard box, made two entrances in the sides, and a big one on top w/ ladder. The 'tiels took an interest and started hanging out and making a mess in there. Thus, I made a new one, with a "room" in it.:p That was the bad idea. They would stay in there for hours, scratching around and shredding things up. Then Sno-cone laid the egg. I immediately removed the egg (which was unfertilized) and put it in her cage. I got rid of the box, and now she has been completely ignoring the egg in her cage. It's been a good week or so since that, and she hasn't laid any more, so I suppose that's good.:wf lutino:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like what you created was a nest box. Unless you wanted eggs, that is not the thing to do. A good sticky to read on hormonal behavior and prevention is here: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. Sounds like you may have nipped it in the bud though by taking it down...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Cockatiels are sneaky little stinkers when it comes to laying eggs. Mindwipe, my 14 year old hen, is doing the nesting dance under the newspapers of her cage. I'm hoping her and Redshift don't start nesting under there. Archie will pitch a fit if they do and I'll have a conure/tiel war on my hands.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like what you created was a nest box. Unless you wanted eggs, that is not the thing to do. A good sticky to read on hormonal behavior and prevention is here: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330. Sounds like you may have nipped it in the bud though by taking it down...
I think I knew what might happen, but just did nothing about it. :p A million shameths upon me.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I think I knew what might happen, but just did nothing about it. :p A million shameths upon me.
Don't be too hard on yourself :) We've all done something to set out birds off at one point or another. And some birds just beg to have something happen, even if we've planned against it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
HaHaHa! Don't worry- we don't judge here :) At least they had fun with it while it lasted :p

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Oooh. Lucky for you (and Sno-Cone) that there was only one egg and not many. :p

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HaHaHa! Don't worry- we don't judge here :) At least they had fun with it while it lasted :p
Actually, they both got reaaaaally protective of their box, and Cider would run all the way out just to hiss and (somewhat lightly) bite anyone too close. :p We actually took some videos, it was so hilarious.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oooh. Lucky for you (and Sno-Cone) that there was only one egg and not many. :p
Yep. She hasn't laid any more yet, but the 'tiels are still somewhat interested in the egg, so I'll wait a little longer before removing it. With Sno-cone's other couple clutches, she laid the whole clutch and sat on them for weeks before she lost interest. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts