Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I rescued a cute little cockatiel outside my house. He was getting attacked by a bunch of birds. I believe he is domesticated as he sits on my hand and cuddles up to me. He is still very scared of course but has now come out of his cage on his own. I haven't been able to locate his owners so I've taken him in. I've read lots about them but still not sure on ow he should be treated. We have just bought a bigger cage for him and he's eating lots. Doesn't seem to be sick but he's very thin. He could have been outside for days. Any help is appreciated on how to make sure he stays happy and healthy!

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
oh good on you! i would take him to a vet if i were you. just to get him checked out etc. :)
here are some useful links to all sorts of cockatiel care information on this website. all about best diet (a mix of seeds and vegies), best housing, how to tame\train etc. have a read and feel free to ask any questions.

General info and Training

Health and Nutrition (diet, is your bird sick? etc.)

Emergency Stickies (just some things that are good to know about, in case the need arises :))

it's great you've bought a new cage :)
cockatiels are best fed on a diet of seeds, some pellets if they eat them, and veggies. test your new tiel on some broccoli and spinach for a start. he might have eaten veggies in his old home.
it's good for tiels to come out every day, to spend time with you. so try to get him out for a while each day.
they need toys in their cage! you can buy toys from petshops or make them yourself. here's a diy toy link with plenty of ideas and inspiration:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=242
and here's another link to see how other members have their cages set up:
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32

he's probably thin from not eating. in a few weeks he should have gained weight :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have you checked locally to see if he's lost? Parrot Alert is especially good in Australia for finding lost birds & their homes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! I have been looking in the papers and online to see if I can locate his owners and nothing. I was also told by many people that should I put up fliers that everyone in a 10 mile radius would claim him since they are such a lovely animal to have. I am still keen on looking in papers and online to see if anything comes up, but he can fly very well. He could be many many blocks from home. I will of course keep searching!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
That's so comforting to know he wandered into your hands :thumbu: I would try and let a veterinarian check him out. Does he show any signs of injury from those birds that were attacking him?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to have gotten there just at the right time. He was hiding behind some of out herb plants when the birds started attacking, there were about 5 of them poor guy. He doesn't seem to be injured at all but as soon as possible I'm am going to get him into a vet. He seems to be flying all right. A bit unsure of himself but that's it. He's eating and drinking lots of water and we bought him a nice big cage with lots of toys to keep him company and so he can spread his wings. Other then being a bit frightened still (wish what he went through I think is normal) he seems to be doing a ton of a lot better then when I found him.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You have a wonderful kind heart Kaikami, that little tiel is blessed to have you as his saviour. :clap:

I see that you're a fellow Aussie; what part of Australia do you live in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been here for 6 months. I'm originally from Canada. So these exotic birds are very new to me! Currently living in Sydney at the moment. I'm happy to say that in peters new cage he has been very lively and healthy. Here are some pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
That is indeed a great cage Kaikami. I tried to get that one locally here in Bundaberg for Tilly, but there were none in stock, so I had to settle for the next size down, which is fine anyway.

Peter is a very lucky and handsome fellow!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We ordered ours from Melbourne. Only took two days to get here! Was just over $200 for it which I think is fantastic. It's just higher then me and I'm 5 foot 6 inches. Enough room for him to spread his wings and a nice big door so he can come out and fly around if he wants to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice!

That is quite a cage for your new friend! Wow!!! He should be happy there! Looks like you are very caring!
I have had my Cockatiel for about 9 months now. She has made a wonderful pet and is very loving. I have just adopted a rescue tiel. She is about 6 yrs old.
Enjoy your new friend!

A fellow Canadian!
MJ

:pied:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts