Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've had birds for 12 years and have never encountered this problem, but I have a cockatiel who is extremely jealous of my newest bird.

This cockatiel, Rio, was rescued by us three years ago. He was found in the cabin of a ship on a very hot summer day in a filthy cage by himself. You can imagine the temperatures inside that cabin - the sort where you can't even stand a minute in your car. We saw him and got him out. He was traumatized and trembled when we so much as walked into the room. It's been a slow process, but he's come so far. He still doesn't want to be held or get on my hand, but he's gained weight, started playing with toys, and will even give "eye kisses" and let me open the cage and work in it without him freezing up or hissing.

He lives in a big cage in the living room with 4 budgies and one other cockatiel. The cage is open all day, so they have freedom to fly when they want. He has never flown but in the last 10 months has finally learned to climb out of the cage (you see how slow his progress has been). In May, my sweet Flippy unexpectedly passed away. This was my first cockatiel and she was only 7 years old. She was extremely tame but wanted nothing to do with Rio. In August, I introduced a new cockatiel, Misty, to the flock, and they immediately bonded to form a couple. So Rio found love. I've even seen them mate.

But I missed having such a tame cockatiel, and three weeks ago, I added a third new cockatiel to the group after a month's isolation.

However, this time, things are different. Whereas the rest of the group has no problem with her joining them, Rio is acting like he hates her! He not only chases her away. He will actively seek her out and attack her, no matter where she is. He's even starting to fly just to be able to reach her!!

So in short, I have no idea what to do about this. I've searched the internet, this forum, but all I find is information on a jealous tame cockatiel who doesn't like a second bird being added. He's not tame and he's used to being in a group. So what might cause him to act like this? And what can I do to help them get along?

Any advice would be SO very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think he sees the new tiel as competition for affections for Misty. Sorry I’m not much help , maybe slowly get them used to each other while one or both are in cages . Are you sure the new tiel is a girl? I see some yellow face on her/him :) good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts