Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I posted a thread about my bird Cookie being in the ICU with an infection in her reproductive tract. Back then, the vet said that as long as she didn't try to lay eggs again she would be fine. She put in a birth control implant on Cookie that was supposed to keep her from laying eggs for about 3-6 months. Well, the birth control lasted only 3 WEEKS on Cookie, even though I changed her entire environment and my treatment of her here at home to discourage egg laying. She started laying eggs again, and the infection came back again. The vet gave me some more antibiotics to treat her from home, and she seemed to be responding fine, until I noticed a bunch of undigested seeds in her droppings today. Could this be because of the infection/antibiotics and will clear once she is well again? Or could this be a secondary infection, or something like PDD? Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's really hard to say, because it could be any of those possibilities and I'm not sure how you'd narrow it down without labwork, unfortunately. I would suggest adding a probiotic, though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Enigma, do you know of any cases where antibiotics caused the undigested seeds, that went back to normal after the infection cleared?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I don't but I do know of cases where birds under stress had undigested seeds that cleared after being given a probiotic. Since antibiotics wipe out gut flora in a way that might be similar, I'd think it might be worth a try.

ETA: If the vet doesn't know about the undigested seeds, they should be told, though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. I had a cockatiel that died about 4 years ago, possibly with PDD. I wonder if it's possible for Cookie to have it now, given her weakened immune system.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I remember. It is possible, and I think worth addressing with your vet. At the time that your other bird was sick, I had wondered if it was possible that Cookie might be a carrier because of the timeline. On the other hand, I think undigested seed is more common than published info would lead us to believe, and there certainly could be other reasons Cookie would have that symptom now.

(I have a bird who goes through periodic episodes of vomiting and not digesting, and she doesn't have PDD. My vet, who is very experienced, says that in about 70% of cases, the birds recover and the cause is never determined.)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is very interesting. I mentioned it to my vet, and she said that undigested seeds is a serious concern. I wonder if she knows that it's common? She thinks PDD is definitely a possibility, considering that I had a bird that had it. She also said that PDD is very common among cockatiels.

I have a newborn baby in the house. If Cookie is shedding the PDD virus in her stool, could it affect my baby in any way? I don't think it's transmissible to humans, is it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts