Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My male pearl/pied 'tiel, Solar, has recently turn 1 year and started his first moult not long back. But not properly.
He's not done yet but he has given me his decks twice now and by the looks of it he'll drop another pair. All four of these feathers have dropped before reaching their full length, being stunted, puckered at the root and frail looking. The rest of his tail, flights, coverts have been moulted out and grown in, as far as I can tell, without this problem. He has a good diet of pellets, seed and veg that my other 'tiel gets(who moults lovely).

Can anyone suggest a reason/remedy for this feather dropping?

When I took him home from the breeder he had a hunger trace/fret/stress marks across his decks and they both broke off near the top, do you think the follicles are faulty?
I've also noticed a small number of his covert feathers also have come in poor, with a sort of razor effect. I was told by the breeder(and can feel for myself compared to my other 'tiel) that his feathers are soft, satin like and finer than usual - could this contribute to feather weakness? Could it be a sign of disease?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I don't think its a sign of disease but he very well could have some follicle issues going on. DallyTsuka has experience in this so hopefully she'll be on soon to comment.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
sorry i was not on sooner, i had work :)

sounds like damage to the feathers, likely from nutritional problems as a baby. did his old home smoke with the birds around at all? does he have a lot of nightfrights?

i've had this problem for a LONG time with tsuka, my male. he could not fly until almost 2 years old.

what is his diet? ive found tsuka's problems stopped around the time he started eating pellets. there may have been something missing in the diet that was in the pellets.

offer brewer's yeast on his food when molting and offer some rosemary--dried or fresh. if dried, you can grind it up into a fine powder and sprinkle it on his veggies or seed if he does not eat it on its own. rosemary is a good herb for molting--it was recommended to me for tsuka and his problems and i have seen an improvement. tsuka's problems were caused from a bad smoking environment as a baby, not given the proper diet, not given the best care by his parents at a young age and from damage from nightfrights.

if you can pin point the problem, you will be able to improve the problem :)

these are some of the feathers ive dealt with from tsuka

these first two photos are the same feather--this is a WING feather, but it was curled at the top

1 - 3 of 3 Posts