Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya everyone, WolfyV here! So recently Hermes has been taking quite the liking to his mirror toy within his cage.. quite a bit, actually.

He licks it, chirps at it, snuggles up close to it, and outright stares at it for hours on end. I know that among most males this is normal, but he rarely, if he even does at all, give any time to his other toys (Ladder toy, preening toy, and dangley key toy). It's only ever the mirror. I want to take it away from him to show him he has other toys, but ive done this before, and it's only led to a lonely and irritated tiel. I DO remove the mirror at night to help him and me both sleep, but otherwise that's all he does is flirt with his reflection.

What should I do to make sure he's getting some stimulation from something else, too?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Remove the mirror. It's never recommended to let males have them, mainly because they'll come to view it as a mate and can become aggressive over it. It's not really necessary for him to have it and he will be fine if you take it out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I agree remove the mirror. He thinks it's a mate. Maybe that is why he tries to bite u when u have him out. He wants back in there with what he thinks is his mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! This would explain A LOT, true, Cat. Hopefully he'll learn to love me more than his own pretty face now lol. Thanks a lot for the help :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts