Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two birds from a vet office and I know they are at least 17, reportedly 20. Oscar is giving us a bit of worry, since he is so visibly old and wobbly.

He has very unkempt feathers and a weak grip (he is capable of moving around the cage, just a bit slower). He also has had puffy eyes since coming home. It's possible he has allergies since he hasn't been exposed to the outdoors in so long. However I'm not a "take chances" person and despite just getting him and his bonded buddy four days ago, they're my responsibility now.

They have a vet appointment for the 27th but I would like second opinions on if I should drive the extra hour to get in sooner.

He is acting very normal, vocalizes normally, doesn't seem to have blocked nares, and is eating/drinking/pooping regularly.

(Thanks to everyone here! You're all amazing!)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Birdpool,

From what I know, red puffy eyes are an indication of a cold or infection. I would recommend moving the vet appointment up if possible, but defer to the opinions of more expert members on this site.

Best,
John

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will call the other vet tomorrow and see if I can get one in morning or the day after. They've squeezed me in with Wade a few times before and they're honestly my favorite clinic. The distance is just a bit much both for me and the birds, so I have a closer avian vet (who is also good).

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'd guess vitamin A deficiency. Definitely better to get checked out sooner rather than later if possible, though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would only one bird show if it was psittacosis? They've lived together the entire time and Felix is in excellent health.

I'm waiting to hear back about a possible appointment opening, but it's not looking promising to get in sooner than Monday.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Would only one bird show if it was psittacosis? They've lived together the entire time and Felix is in excellent health.

I'm waiting to hear back about a possible appointment opening, but it's not looking promising to get in sooner than Monday.[/QUOTE

I believe birds can be carriers and not look infected and under periods of stress the disease will appear...
http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/psittico.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

Sorry for the delay in updating life has been pretty crazy.

The vet visit went very well and was not a source of bad news. Well, at least on the front that no one is sick. Oscar has what appears to be a genetic problem with his eye, and it's nothing to be alarmed about. The vet isn't worried in the least about his respiratory health. Unfortunately, Oscar has some pretty severe arthritis in his legs which is what causes the tailbobbing when he's perching on hands or thin perches. He is otherwise fine!

Felix, we found out, is missing a toe! Dont know how we missed that for a week but it's an interesting fact.

The old men are looking loads better. Their feathers are clearing up, their poops are alright, and they're really happy to be getting new kinds of food! Getting these ancient birds off seed is easier than getting my 1-4 year olds off it haha. They love pellets and nutriberries. Can't quite get them on fresh food yet but I'll take getting them off seeds for sure.

Oscar and Felix are doing great. Thank you to everyone who helped me out here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts