Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently converted my cockatiels over to pellets. Appa was used to eating pellets before so he eats all of them however with Boo I'm not so sure. He used to be a seed junky.

Boo yet again is the one I have concerns over. He is pooping red. The outside part is a deep red but the urates are nice and white like they should be. I'm assuming that this is because he is most likely eating all the red pellets and leaving the others alone for the most part.

I want to convert them over to uncolored pellets but I started with colored because it was easier to get their attention that way. However while I am converting them to uncolored pellets is it ok if Boo basically only eats the red ones? Will he be missing nutrients? The pellets are the Intune brand, and the also get fresh veggies and fruits, rice/beans, and 1-2 nutriberries a day. Boo of course is very picky with his fresh foods as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You should probably post a pic of the red droppings just so we can have a look. Just to be safe. It's probably the pellets but who knows.
But no i don't think he will be missing anything important by eating only the red ones, I'm not familiar with that brand but usually it's just colouring and flavouring that separate the pellets from eachother anyway. He sounds like he's getting a good diet.
Are you sure he's even only eating the red ones? My girls eat all the colours of their Vetafarm and their poop still goes lime green.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should probably post a pic of the red droppings just so we can have a look. Just to be safe. It's probably the pellets but who knows.
But no i don't think he will be missing anything important by eating only the red ones, I'm not familiar with that brand but usually it's just colouring and flavouring that separate the pellets from eachother anyway. He sounds like he's getting a good diet.
Are you sure he's even only eating the red ones? My girls eat all the colours of their Vetafarm and their poop still goes lime green.
Intune is supposed to be natural coloring and I remember seeing different colors doing different things, however I'm not sure I'll have to look again.
I'm not sure if he's only eating the red ones but my other tiel's dropping are normal and I know for a fact that he eats all of them. Although he has always been healthier since he eats everything. Maybe since is the first time Boo has been on a healthier diet his body is adjusting differently. I'll try to get a picture.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's most likely the pellets, I agree. Sammy has emerald green poops from eating his green pellets. I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's most likely the pellets, I agree. Sammy has emerald green poops from eating his green pellets. I wouldn't worry.
Yes now I have observed more closely and noticed that both my cockatiels eat the red ones only. And now both have red poop. I left the other colors and didn't add new pellets now they ate all the yellow ones and left the green. They are so picky!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My cockatiel Luna did that when he was a baby. Scared the crap out of me! I even collected his poop in a bag and was ready to head off the vets. Once you switch them to the brown pellets, their poop should be green when they eat their seed and then tan colored when they eat their pellets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts