Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If dad was a visual pied then yes she is split to pied. As to the wf, there does some to be some white feathers but it's really hard to tell if it's a ring or if it's from the pearling.

·
Registered
10,883 Posts
Most of the knowledgeable breeders that I've talked to think that a white halo is NOT a reliable indicator of a WF split. In fact I only know one person who thinks that it IS a reliable indicator. Birds can have the halo without the split, and can have the split without the halo. I suspect that the presence or absence of a halo is more related to how intense the yellow coloring is on the rest of the bird. A WF split might or might not influence the general intensity of the yellow, but there are other factors that can do it too.

I have an article on split signs and how well they work. Pied is still the only mutation that's considered to have a reliable indicator of a split. http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-tielsplits.html

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Most of the knowledgeable breeders that I've talked to think that a white halo is NOT a reliable indicator of a WF split. In fact I only know one person who thinks that it IS a reliable indicator. Birds can have the halo without the split, and can have the split without the halo. I suspect that the presence or absence of a halo is more related to how intense the yellow coloring is on the rest of the bird. A WF split might or might not influence the general intensity of the yellow, but there are other factors that can do it too.
I agree. It seems that it only works in some birds and that to me doesn't mean it's a true indicator of the split. Which is why I'm never 100% positive that a bird is split by that indicator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts