Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bird has been sneezing for a couple of days, but the vet said I didn't have to bring him in for that. Now, he is making really weird sounds! They are short, quiet and raspy. It reminds me of a soar throat (when humans have it)

He also bites and knocks his beak to the bars. He seems kind of annoyed at the sound like he is trying to clear it.

We just woke up (it's 6:30am here in norway) and he hasn't made the sound any other day. I just got him last thursday and I've been spending almost every minute with him.

At first he wouldn't eat but he has started to eat, drink and climb around his cage. He seems to have a lot of energy and curiosity, so I haven't really been that worried about his health.

He also has runny poops. I read online that that was usual if he is stressed and a new environment might be stressful enough to cause this.

Should I take him to the vet? The vet here is very busy (I live in a small small town) so they won't have time until monday at the earliest. What should I do to help him over the weekend?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not while breathing, he is breathing normally. It's only when he is trying to sing or flock-call.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
So he has vocal changes? You really need to have him seen today. Any respiratory symptoms are an emergency. Birds with respiratory infections can go downhill within a matter of hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
really? Okay I'll call the vet ASAP! Thank you so much! I wasn't even sure it was a big deal! You might have saved his life! Thankyouthankyouthankyou! :love:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HIS VOICE IS TOTALLY NORMAL NOW? Please help! What was that this morning? Now his voice is exactly like normal. I think I should take him to the vet anyway just in case, but what was that this morning?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's really hard to tell without seeing a video of it. It's possible it was a vocalization you're unfamiliar with, but honestly, with the possibility of vocal changes plus the sneezing (which could be normal or could be a symptom) and the droppings, I'd get him checked out. If it's nothing, then you get peace of mind. If it's a respiratory infection and you try to wait until Monday, chances are it will be too late to do anything. Birds are prey animals, so they hide their illnesses very well. By the time you see any symptoms at all, they are very ill. And moving into a new home is a time when they are particularly stressed and at-risk, so an infection is very possible. I'm not trying to alarm you, I just don't want you to miss your chance to have him treated if he is sick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you are right. I had a zebrafinch which died a year ago and he didn't show ANY signs at all! One day, he was dead. No warning signs at all... I guess I might be overreacting because of that but I'd rather be too careful than careless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
little update: took him to the vet. Turns out, the sounds he was making was totally normal cockatiel "squawking" or whatever it's called. I searched youtube just to confirm and it's normal sounds. I'm relived but feel kind of stupid. It was a new sound and it scared me, but at least now I know :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts