Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My baby just had a really horrible poo! It stank! And was really dark rich brown! Is he sick? He is losing weight. The poo is now becoming very watery but still brown, he seems unsteady but is flying around as per normal. I called the avian vet, i made the mistake early of letting him eat a milk product, so she reckons that's what it might be and if he does another poo to take it in the them.
In just worried, will he get worse, and should I let him crop empty out for now until it all passes, he's following Cody around on the floor at the moment.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Your post includes at least five signs of illness (color change, odor, consistency change of droppings; weigh loss; neurological problems). I would take him to the vet immediately. Why risk it?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agree, I have concern that your baby seems unsteady. And the stink. If it were just one or two, I'd consider waiting, but because the baby has all those, I'd take him to the vet like enigma said. For me, the change in poop or unsteadiness of the bird was always my vet signs.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Is this bird from the same breeder that you got the unweaned baby that died? If so, from your pix on the other forum Barney had giardia, and your description sounds like this might be a possibility. The color sounds like possibly even some bleeding in the upper GI tract. To make sure, smear some on plain white paper and hold up to a strong light. If old blood it would show up a rust color. If not a rust or reddish color it could be from something in similar color he ate.

Eating a dairy product will not do this. Most dairy products that are processed do not contain lactose.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I so would if I could! But I in no way able to get there, mum is at work...:(
Was it because of the milk?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh akay, sorry I did not see ur post what about lead poisoning could it be that?
I do what u said but it doesn't show any reddish colour at all.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The urates were normal, he is the brother of Barney so about 8 weeks now. I made the mistake of letting him eat some porridge :(

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Did you ever get a necropsy for Barney? There is a possibility that the same thing may be wrong with this bird.

Porridge should not do that to the droppings. And if you have just noticed that he is losing weight it may have been a slow gradual weight loss, which can be from disease, or if handfeeding possibly nutritional or how the bird is fed, or a combination of both.

Rather than speculate, it sounds like a vet visit is in order as soon as you can.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought mabey he had lead poisoning because earlier he touched the end of one of my lead pencils, so I called the vet again and asked about getting a test done but apparently theres no lead in lead pencil .... Is that true? :O

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would lean on what your vet said to be true. Not that I'm in the habit of letting it happen, but I've had quite a few occasions where one of my keets or tiels decided to be pesky, and destroyed the tips of my pencils while writing or if they somehow got to my desk and knocked the cup over. I've had yet to have a bird come down sick because of it. Also, like srtiels said, the porridge did not cause this. I share my food with my birds, porridge/oatmeal, my grainy cereals do nothing to their poop. The ONLY food that may give my birds a more runny poop is when I give them freshly washed romaine lettuce.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
The bird needs to see a vet. There is no way around this as he has so many symptoms of being sick. Please do the responsible thing and get his baby to the vet ASAP. A vet cannot diagnose or treat your bird over the phone..they can answer your questions but they can't really give advice until they have examined the bird themselves.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't get to the vet until in atleast 3-4 hours :( will they be able to tell me why he is losing weight?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The vet may not immediately be able to tell what is going on with the bird. He/she may have to do some tests, some in office like gram stains, and some sent out like bloodwork, and cultures. But from the in office visit the vet will most likely put the bird on a broad spectrum antibiotic until results are in. The reason for this is if there is a disease going on it will take care of any secondary bacterial problems generated from the primary health issue.

At the vets office try to give as many details about the bird as you can, age, how long you have had him, where you got him, diet, environment/housing.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
They will ask you questions that may or may not lead to a possible conclusion about weight loss...it is very likely for him to be losing weight from disease, which will require follow-up treatment and quarantine from your other birds. If they find he is suffering from disease, it is very likely the other birds might've caught it so you will want to bring the whole gang up there and have them checked for the disease as well.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooooh... Mums not going to like the sound of that :p I'll see what I can organize with them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts