Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Again,
Im probably just a worried new mum, but i only just got my 6 week old (nearly 7 now) cockatiel, her weight is 80g (i think this is okay but would like to know for sure (shes maintaining that weight)).

The part that concerns me is that she looks like she thinks my other (elderly) cockatiel is her mum, or a motherly figure. She bobs her head up and down and makes the baby hungry noises.
She makes those noises to me as well but not as much.
Im contemplating getting some hand rearing formula, thinking she may not be eating enough/properly or was weened too early.

Another sign im concerned about is is when i got her, her poop was a healthy green color, but now (shes getting worse at asking for hand feeding) her poop is a really dark green, almost black. Which can be a sign of not eating. (or more serious issues)

Ive called the breeder but he seams to not care about her now shes been sold to me... Im really unimpressed with this breeder, but most of all i just want to make sure my baby cockatiel is okay.

ANY help or advice you can give me would be great, thank you!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
My Sunny always bobbed her head and made that begging noise. 2 weeks after i got her she died. :(

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Hi! Congrats on your new baby. There will be others on that will be able to give you awesome advice. So keep an eye out. She might be doing what is called regressing. She could have been weaned before you got her (but she is quite young) and the whole change of scenery has sort of put her two steps backward. Personally, if it were me, I would definitely buy the formula and hand feed morning and night 10% of the bird's weight. Do you have experience hand feeding?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Congrats on your new baby. There will be others on that will be able to give you awesome advice. So keep an eye out. She might be doing what is called regressing. She could have been weaned before you got her (but she is quite young) and the whole change of scenery has sort of put her two steps backward. Personally, if it were me, I would definitely buy the formula and hand feed morning and night 10% of the bird's weight. Do you have experience hand feeding?
Thank you so much for your reply!
Okay, she was apparently eating seed for 4 days before i got her, i thought it was too early.
I have no experience whatsoever hand feeding, ive watched others do it but never have myself. Is it 10% all up morning and night or 10% morning and 10% night?
Ill keep my eye out for others who can help also.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
It's 10% per feeding. Yeah, 4 days is quite soon. Being that you are in a crunch for time, there are actually videos on Youtube about hand feeding cockatiels. They can be very helpful. You could also contact another local breeder or an avian vet to show you how to hand feed. Hand feeding can be quite hairy at first. Just remember to take a breath, have a steady hand .. and patience. Your baby is older, so he/she will be all over the place when you feed her. At that age though, she'll know what you're up to. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's 10% per feeding. Yeah, 4 days is quite soon. Being that you are in a crunch for time, there are actually videos on Youtube about hand feeding cockatiels. They can be very helpful. You could also contact another local breeder or an avian vet to show you how to hand feed. Hand feeding can be quite hairy at first. Just remember to take a breath, have a steady hand .. and patience. Your baby is older, so he/she will be all over the place when you feed her. At that age though, she'll know what you're up to. :)
I'll do that know!
Whats your preference, the hand feeding spoon or syringe?
Ill contact a breeder who i was very close to a few years ago, im sure she would love to see me/help me. She lives/works only a few minutes away, so ill go see her. :)

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
her poop is a really dark green, almost black. Which can be a sign of not eating. (or more serious issues)

Yes this is a sign that very little food has been eating and has passded slowly thru the GI tract. Also... when the poop is dark like this there is also dehydration going on, and since it is moving slow thru the GI tract it will also contain bacteria that can be harmful and get absorbed into the blood stream.

Since the breeder is not receptive you might consider trying to find someone to show you how to prepare formula and handfeed. OR... it might be best for a vet visit ASAP and have the vet do a gram stain to see if there is any pathogens in the poop and to also hydrate the bird and show you how to handfeed, or make a referral to someone qualified to look at the bird and show you what to do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
her poop is a really dark green, almost black. Which can be a sign of not eating. (or more serious issues)

Yes this is a sign that very little food has been eating and has passded slowly thru the GI tract. Also... when the poop is dark like this there is also dehydration going on, and since it is moving slow thru the GI tract it will also contain bacteria that can be harmful and get absorbed into the blood stream.

Since the breeder is not receptive you might consider trying to find someone to show you how to prepare formula and handfeed. OR... it might be best for a vet visit ASAP and have the vet do a gram stain to see if there is any pathogens in the poop and to also hydrate the bird and show you how to handfeed, or make a referral to someone qualified to look at the bird and show you what to do.
Thank you for your advice,
Im contacting the local breeder that i was really close to a few years ago, she works at the school a few minutes away, and lives a few minutes away too. I called the school, they said she will give me a call asap.
In the meantime ill go out and get hand feeding formula and the special spoon or syringe.
She will call soon, and ill go see her. She can show me how too hand feed and also have a look at Mellow (the cockatiel) to check her out.
Which would you recommend, the spoon or syringe?
With the moving slowly through the GI track, does that speed up when she will eat and drink more/be handfed??
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
It would be best to find out from the breeder what they used for handfeeding and get that. I personally prefer a syringe because to have more control in regards to knowing how much you are feeding and getting it into the bird.

This thread may be helpful: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=18189

1 - 9 of 9 Posts